MCCLAIN COVERS JOHN LEGEND’S ‘ALL OF ME’

MOMMY QUOTES WITH ACTRESS HOLLY ROBINSON PEETE

hollyson

“Were there times I said to myself, Ooh, if somebody that A-list comes out, what could he do for the movement? Yeah, I wished that. I don’t blame the Travoltas for not talking about it. I would never tell someone what to say about their kid. The fact that posthumously he had to say that on the stand, I wasn’t glad about it. But I was relieved he was able to have closure.”(Source)—-Actress Holly Robinson Peete speaks on the death of actor John Travolta’s son, Jett.

Ten months after Jett’s death, John Travolta finally admitted during an extortion trial that  his 16-year-old son had suffered from autism. Holly, whose 12-year-old son, Rodney Jr., also has the disorder, says she wishes John had spoken sooner.

Tags : Posted in : Mommy Quotes

14 Comments to “MOMMY QUOTES WITH ACTRESS HOLLY ROBINSON PEETE”

• CalaLilly November 6, 2009 at 8:29 am

Holly has become a spokesperson for the cause where her visibility and voice are warranted. What are you talking about? You can’t be for real.

She has raised awareness, particularly in the black community about this issue.

My heart goes out to her and her husband. What loving,devoted parents and BRAVE.

The more ignorant people she can shine light on about this the better.

• CalaLilly November 6, 2009 at 11:07 am

This comment was in reply to Anna … Always got to be that one off the wall poster in the bunch.

• Calla Lilli too! November 7, 2009 at 12:03 am

Lol. I don’t know how Anna came to THAT conclusion.
        Anyway, I was wondering about your choice of screen name because it’s similar to my daughter’s name, is it that you love the flower or is that your name?

• CalaLilly November 7, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Hi, your daughter has a pretty name. I took my screen name after the flower which I like, the Calla Lilly.

• Anna November 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Travolta did not have to “admit” anything. Holly is far worse than Travolta, she is using her son’s autism to stay in the spotlight.

• JessBegun November 6, 2009 at 9:53 am

Anna, it seems that you have no idea what you are talking about – it has only been about 3 years since Holly Robinson-Peete has publicly discussed her son’s struggles in People Magazine. I remember it well because I was pregnant with my son at the time and was very concerned. She has raised awareness about a struggle that very few people care to admit to. She also discussed what worked for her son and allowed other parents who have an child with Autism see that there is light at the end of the tunnel – That yes with love, care and lots of time and effort your child can progress. And that is the greatest things to know! That you are not alone and someone else is experiencing the same thing too.

• Khrish November 6, 2009 at 10:11 am

Thank you for that comment. My mother used to have a saying; “a trick untried is hard to be justified”. I never thought that she used her son for the spotlight and how dare you suggest that this raging disorder is something that any parent would want to use to better one’s career. Are you mad or do you just not know anything about Autism. She certainly has many more ways to attract the spotlight given all the things in which she is involved. Shame on you.

• tatyana November 9, 2009 at 1:38 am

Anna seriously? What does she need to stay in the spotlight for? Shes helping her son and others who are dealing with autism. You just wanted to say something negative grow up.

• BrownSantiLove November 5, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Her son looks like the boy version of his mom.

• Kiki November 5, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I personally don’t feel that John had an obligation to reveal his son’s struggles but I can understand Holly’s frustration. It is a disorder that is very misunderstood. I am sorry for those of you who have children with this diagnosis. I am glad that more research and information is coming out as more and more children have this diagnosis.

• seankordw November 5, 2009 at 11:16 am

As a mother with a six year old son who has autism I know how hard it is to deal with the fact that your child has the disorder. For me it doesn’t matter if a celebrity comes out about if their child has it or not it’s not going to make my son’s situation any different. I beleive everyone should do what’s best for their own child and if they decide to talk about it fine and if they don’t that’s fine too!

• lightyearsahead November 5, 2009 at 2:13 pm

You are right, but I understand Holly’s point too. She too has questioned, coming forward and being open, not wanting her child to become a “poster boy” for the cause. Brave and strong woman. Autism is still largely stigmatized and misunderstood. Putting a name to the face, particularly that of an “A-list” celeb can have the ability to further broaden awareness, destigmatize,and humanize it as well.

That their lives are already lived in a fishbowl, how much harder it must be to have to deal with a serious health issue regarding your child under the glaring spotlights. Lets not forget too that Travolta practices Scientology whose beliefs may have also fueled his denial or reluctance to come forward or to terms with an autism diagnosis. I have heard that with Scientology, disabilities are often seen as personal weaknesses that can be “overcome”. Don’t quote me. And unless his son presented with the more “classic” form of this developmental disability, it is not currently possible to diagnose definitively like Down’s Syndrome for example where there are definitive chromosomal and physical markers. Adding to the confusion is that it is a “spectrum” developmental disability. Children diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) can vary quite broadly in their abilities and challenges. Some are quite bright, where others may experience some mental retardation, others have marked behavioral issues, others do not, etc.

As a parent of a child whose challenging behavior at one time brought into question what was driving it —ASD, ADHD, ODD?? among others but thankfully is not so much a question these days, but I still feel for those parenting children who have been impacted because their are just still so many questions, and so few answers.

• Khrish November 5, 2009 at 3:59 pm

As the parent of an adult with autism, I thought that I read Travolta’s son was autistic when he was quite young. I know that Slyvester Stallone was a spokesperson for Autism at one time. I have always been open to conversation and revelation of my son’t autism because it only helps others who will come along with the same problems. Although my son is high functioning and holds a job, there are stories shared by other parents that make me feel blessed that my son does as well as he does. I have found that these things, though they are difficult to accept or deal with, one does better when you face up to them because it helps the children and opens them up to better developing situations. I have had people tell me that if I believed that he was autistic then he was and if I prayed and didn’t believe it that he would overcome, somewhat like Scientology, but I have sense enough to accept the things that I cannot change and moved forward to get all the help that was out there for him. I agree, every parent has to deal with it the way they know how, but we also have to take into consideration what will be the lost or the gain to the child by trying to secret or wish away somethings. My first concern was for my child. I don’t know if it makes a lot of difference if the celebrities who have these children speak out about it or not, but I do know that when my child was tested I had never heard of Autism. Things are not what they ought to be, but thank goodness they are better than they were.

• seankordw November 5, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I wanted to ad to my first statement that in no way am I ashamed of my son or his autism he and his older brother are the lights of my husband and myself life. Unfortunately Kordell who is six is non verbal and is very developmentally delayed but, with help from social workers and his special education teacher he is making alot of progress. So to all the parents who have to go through what I am going through I just want to say that there are alot of tuff days but, every now and then your child does something to remind you not to give up on them. Like just come up and hug you out of the blue or get dressed all by himself. These things may not be a big deal to others but to someone in my situation it’s heaven!