SKAI JACKSON JOINS THE OBAMAS FOR EASTER EGG ROLL

ALFRE WOODARD’S DAUGHTER IS MISS GOLDEN 2010

mavis5

Mavis Spencer(b. 1992) is pictured with her mom, actress Alfre Woodard, and Hollywood Foreign Press president Philip Berk at the 2nd annual Golden Globes party saluting young Hollywood on December 8, 2009.

The High School senior has been selected as Miss Golden Globe for “The 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards” to be aired on NBC on Sunday, January 17, 2010. Traditionally, Miss Golden Globes is a son or daughter of a celebrity who assists in the Golden Globes ceremony.

missgolden

“It means a lot to me as a young person to be a part of something with such a rich history,” Mavis said in a speech at the Young Hollywood event. “I know how my mom feels when she brings home a statue. And to hand someone a token of their accomplishments when they’re elated will just be really cool. I have memories of my mom traipsing off to the Globes, but this year she’s with me! And we’re going to have so much fun.”

Next year Mavis will attend Columbia University(class of 2014), where she plans to study acting.

Photos:Gettyimages
Source

Tags : , Posted in : Actors

44 Comments to “ALFRE WOODARD’S DAUGHTER IS MISS GOLDEN 2010”

• Carole January 4, 2014 at 1:23 am

I was recommended this web site by my cousin.
    I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else
    know such detailed about my difficulty. You are incredible!
    Thanks!

• karen July 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm

“Woodard’s own interracial love story (she’s been married to producer/teacher/activist Roderick Spencer for 22 years) defies the odds of any Hollywood marriage. “Our families have always been very supportive,” she says. “We were both taught ‘you pick your friends on how they treat you — not by what they have or what they look like.’ We get twice the cultures.”

They have two children, daughter Mavis, 14, and son Duncan, 11. Hearing her children, both of mixed race, referred to as “adopted” catches the proud mother off guard. “Yes, I did adopt my children, but I’m so grateful that we did all find each other through adoption,” she says. “If I had tried to carry a baby, I never would have got to my real children — the ones I was meant to parent.” http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-09-29-housewives-woodard_x.htm

• Somebody May 13, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Mavis could pass for Alfre’s child. She favors her a tadbit. Whatever she is, she was adopted and that makes her someone special and loved. Thank you, now let us just end this trivial conversation.

• Raquel December 20, 2009 at 6:22 am

Oohhh wee someone on this board ^ needs a midol, some chocolate and an ambien PRONTO. Snapping at everybody and getting her period panties in a bunch. Lighten the hell up!

• Raquel December 20, 2009 at 6:15 am

Oooh sweet Jesus I was so relieved that the man in the photos WAS NOT Alfre’s husband. I know her husband is a melanin challenged brother *wink* but this dude right here is down right scary Looking like a cross between the grinch that stole Christmas and Rudolf the reindeer with that orange/reddish tipped nose. Ummmph, that’s a face only a mother could love!

Alfre’s daughter is fabulous though.

• Ginnifer December 10, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Very pretty! But 17 years old?! She looks atleast 28! :O

• Khrish December 12, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Oh Please! that child looks no where near 28. You must live near the “fountain of youth” LOL

• Tanya December 10, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I tell you….she is a long legged stunningly beautiful young lady, go head sista with your baaaddd self…LOL!

I love Alfre Woodard, what a great actress.

• Jolie December 10, 2009 at 9:32 am

Good for her, she’s beautiful.

• skidiva December 9, 2009 at 8:11 pm

She is pretty. And yes, she and her brother are adopted. She actually did not want to go to college because she wanted to model and act. But, her mother told there would be time for that; she needed to get an education first.

• xyz December 9, 2009 at 9:40 pm

No, she is not adopted! She is the product of her mother Alfre and her husband Roderick Spencer… get your facts straight!

—————————————————————
      “As Spencer’s director and coach, drama Professor James Malcolm mentored him all four years. Spencer says, “Jim taught me acting, directed me in plays, and even introduced me to my wife.” Spencer has been married for 21 years to acclaimed actress Alfre Woodard, and they have two children.

Despite his WASP roots, Spencer has internalized an African-American perspective. “America views my children as black, so I am a black father. I view the world very differently now as a member of a large black family — I’m not a guest in that world.”
      —————————————————————-

• GTSA December 9, 2009 at 11:29 pm

I am inclined to believe xyz just going off pick 7 above with Alfre and what appears to be her daughter and hubbie.

I know adopted kids can begin to take on a family resemblance, but maybe genes are explaining what I am seeing between father and daughter in that pick?

Either way, she is a lovely girl and I know Alfre must be proud.

• Caratime2 December 10, 2009 at 7:55 am

I have always read the children are adopted – including in Spencer’s own column on HuffPost.

As the mother of two adopted children myself: How would the passage you quoted be any different if the children were adopted?!!?! Spencer is – by his own definition – a “black father”, because he has children (biological or adopted) the world views as black…

• Steve December 10, 2009 at 10:18 am

Who really knows? Many contradictory statements were published…

“They have two children, daughter Mavis, 14, and son Duncan, 11. Hearing her children, both of mixed race, referred to as “adopted” catches the proud mother off guard. “Yes, I did adopt my children, but I’m so grateful that we did all find each other through adoption,” she says. “If I had tried to carry a baby, I never would have got to my real children — the ones I was meant to parent.”

• Khrish December 10, 2009 at 12:15 pm

According to an interview with Woodard on a talk show that I saw, her daughter is adopted. You get the facts straight. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference; it’s her daughter.

• amy December 10, 2009 at 11:20 am

NO, THEY ARE NOT ADOPTED. THESE ARE THE BIOLOGICAL CHILDREN OF ALFRE WOODARD AND RODERICK SPENCER. NOTE COMMENTS BELOW FROM HUFFINGTON POST:

“My son and Barack Obama are almost exactly the same color, except unlike Barack’s family, it is I, the father, who is white, and Alfre, his mom, who is black.”

[link removed]

• Khrish December 10, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Reading without comprehension can cause misinformation. There is nothing about the passage you cited that shows the children are not adopted. He IS the father of these children, whether adopted or not. But Woodard, THE MOTHER has said in interview that her children are adopted. Does that make them any less their children and doesn’t that make him the FATHER of a son who is like the president? I love Woodard and am always so happy to see her in film.

• GTSA December 9, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Is this Alfre’s bio daughter? I don’t see any resemblance, but as we all know sometimes bio kids do not look like the parent(s).

She will make a wonderful Miss Golden Globe.

• mel December 9, 2009 at 2:49 pm

wow shes gorgeous and tall. congrats!

• kim December 9, 2009 at 2:42 pm

She is her bio daughter her father is white and she resembles him in terms of her face shape imo

• Christina December 9, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Not sure if she’s her bio daughter…according to her Wikipedia page: “Woodard lives in Santa Monica, California, with her husband, writer Roderick Spencer, and their two adopted children, Mavis and Duncan.” But we all know Wiki is not always accurate.

• mary truesdale January 29, 2010 at 11:59 pm

As per Sept 29, 2005 USA Today article, Alfre Woodard mentioned that BOTH her children were mixed race and adopted. She viewed this as a positive and so should we! Not everyone can give birth, but that doesn’t stop you from loving and parenting a child.

• Airforce girl December 9, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Is she her adopted daughter?

• the truth December 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm

No its you again. I keep telling you Black is Beautiful and NOOOOOOOO she is not adopted …

• Khrish December 10, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Yes she is. Both of Woodard’s children are adopted.

• ReallyDoe December 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm

What a Beaut! Before I read that she wants to study acting, i thought to myself, “now thats a face that can be in television,…I would just love to see her in films.”

• alyssa December 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm

She is very pretty!!

• KAY December 9, 2009 at 12:32 pm

SHE IS SO PRETTY…I HOPE SHE GOES FAR WITH HER ACTING…

• BrwnSantiLove December 9, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Beautiful tall young lady. Congrats to her!

• Leila December 9, 2009 at 11:54 am

Acting is a major at Columbia. It is under the art program as Theatre Arts

• universitychick December 9, 2009 at 11:43 am

mavis…nevermind, congrats!

• Franchesca December 9, 2009 at 12:46 pm

My thoughts exactly…LOL…Nonetheless she is a very beautiful young lady!!

• onnum2 December 10, 2009 at 11:00 am

I like that name. whats wrong with it? U guys r too funny! lmbo I know a lady name mavis and she is a ball of fun!

• Khrish December 10, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I agree with you. I don’t know why people have such an aversion to down to earth names. And ones that can be easily pronounced. LOL

• Mrs. C December 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

Wow! She’s beautiful!

• Toni A. December 9, 2009 at 11:33 am

She’s very pretty. Best of luck with college!

• starr08 December 9, 2009 at 11:25 am

aaaww gOOd job 4 her! that is very LoveLy that she wanTs to foLLow in her momz fooTsTeps..& sounds very mature 4 her age. ill be waTching this…

• Sunshine December 9, 2009 at 11:22 am

Acting is major at Columbia? BCK are you sure. Julliard maybe but Columbia???

• Leila December 9, 2009 at 11:55 am

Acting is a major at Columbia. She will be studying under the Art program as a Theatre manor

• Sunshine December 9, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info! We didn’t have acting as a major at Cornell so I thought it was the same for all the Ivy League schools.

• lwade July 24, 2010 at 2:02 am

ALL Ivy league schools. You’ve never heard of the Yale school of Drama?

• CK August 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm