SKAI JACKSON JOINS THE OBAMAS FOR EASTER EGG ROLL

KEKE PALMER: MY PARENTS SHOWED ME THE VALUE OF HARD WORK

kekeTeen actress Keke Palmer and her mom are featured in the May 2010 issue of Family Circle. Here is the article feature in full, courtesy of Family Circle magazine:

According to Sharon Palmer, the minute her daughter Keke, 16, heard about the earthquake in Haiti, she asked how she could help. “That’s just Keke,” says Sharon, 42, a former theater actress turned high school teacher. And now that Keke has made a name for herself with roles in Akeelah and the Bee, Madea’s Family Reunion, and Nickelodeon’s True Jackson, VP, she’s putting her fame to good use: In January 2010 she answered phones at George Clooney’s Hope for Haiti Now telethon.

“The funny thing is that when we first got to Hollywood people told me to get her involved in a charity,” says Sharon, who, along with her husband, Larry, moved the family from Chicago to L.A. so Keke could pursue her career. “But our family was volunteering long before it was in vogue.” Keke grew up seeing Sharon and Larry, a minister, serve meals in soup kitchens and deliver food to the homeless. “My parents showed me the value of humility and hard work,” she says.

Keke attributes her confidence to her mom. “Being on TV is hard because people expect you to be perfect,” she says. “But my mom tells me no matter what happens, she’ll always be there for me.” That self-esteem boost has helped her navigate a public adolescence with ease. “I think the reason Keke has so many fans is that she’s real,” says Sharon. When Keke wore her glasses recently at the iPop! Awards Showcase Gala, girls wrote letters thanking her for showing that lenses can be beautiful and glamorous. “To see Keke have that kind of impact on girls’ self-esteem,” says Sharon, “is what makes me really proud.”

Source:Jonathan Skow(photo), Family Circle

Tags : Posted in : Child/Teen Stars

13 Comments to “KEKE PALMER: MY PARENTS SHOWED ME THE VALUE OF HARD WORK”

• Dee April 13, 2010 at 8:53 am

Ke-Ke Palmer is such a beautiful & talented young lady……I love her, she has such a great attitude & she is very well grounded!!! It’s good to see a young woman of color being displayed in such a positive way because the media has a way of making anybody look bad :-( Ke-Ke’s parents has done an AMAZING job with her & I give them credit for a job well done because God knows it’s NOT easy to raise a beautiful, respectful, well mannered, God fearing child in this day & age. I’ll continue to pray for her because I already know that she has a great & promising future ahead of her. God bless Ke-Ke & her entire family :-)

• Renae April 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Always wondered what her mom looked like. Looks like she comes from a good home.

• Anonymous April 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm

gorgeous picture. she really is the best role model these days for young girls. too much garbage going on in the media and she stays true to herself. good for you KeKe

• luvbug April 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Now I see where KeKe get her beautiful looks. Amazing beautiful pics and her mom have done an excellent job with this talented young lady.

• MissStep April 10, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Keke seems to be a lovely lady on the inside as well as on the outside. I know her mommy is proud!

• stacy April 10, 2010 at 6:29 am

KEKE is such a positive role model.

Keep doing you babygirl. I’m proud of you

• Im Bianca and Ima say it April 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Keke is a amazing young woman who is making name for her self in a business that don’t to much value black woman as much as white.I’m proud of ke ke.I think she will continue well in this business.time and time again you see this white are Hispanic young girls get the awards like at this yr Nick kids awards.keke is the new raven symone I think her career will be like ravens.

• daniela April 9, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Kiki was a cute little girl that has grown into a lovely, beautiful young woman. I do agree – she is a true role model.

• C April 9, 2010 at 3:56 pm

She is a great role model to a lot young girls…I see where she gets her beauty from…this is another good example of good parenting…and I love the way she dresses!!! :D

• RileyJ April 9, 2010 at 3:38 pm

She is a real role model.

• Pisces April 9, 2010 at 3:31 pm

These two..gorgeous, beautiful and all that good stuff!

• Teri April 9, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I see where Keke gets her looks. Keke and her mommy are beautiful. This is the look of great parenting right here. Go’on girl!

• CB April 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Love Keke!!! Hats off to her mom…..We need more involved parents like this (Not to take away from parents who are actively engaged) !