SKAI JACKSON JOINS THE OBAMAS FOR EASTER EGG ROLL

RHONDA ROSS AND SON APPEAR ON THE OPRAH SHOW

Legendary singer Diana Ross and her five children appeared on the Oprah show last week. Click over to watch what the Ross children have to say about Diana as a mother and grandmother.

Video: Watch as Diana Ross talks about being a grandmother

According to Oprah.com, Diana’s eldest child  “Rhonda married jazz pianist Rodney Kendrick in 1996 and gave birth to their son Raif in 2009. Rhonda and Rodney have exposed Raif to several languages and early reading, reporting that their 18-month-old understands French, Spanish and English and reads more than 200 words across the three languages.”

53 Comments to “RHONDA ROSS AND SON APPEAR ON THE OPRAH SHOW”

• babylove March 3, 2011 at 9:47 am

Loved the show! I can only watch Oprah when someone I really want to see is up there. It was funny when Diana introduced her son Ross and said “he’s not called Ross Ross, he’s Ross Naess”!!! Loved it!

• Lola March 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Her son is playing in 90210 new generation .. no ?

• Bill Clinton March 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Saw Diana in Houston last night. Absolutely fabulous. Aging gracefully. She is delightful. Glad her family turned out so well; testament to what a good mother she is, for sure.

• Victoria March 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Darn it, I missed this!! Diana Ross and Nina Simone are my two favorite singers of any genre, of ALL time. I so wanted to see it.
    My mother met Diana Ross twice back in the 1970′s and told me what a sweet person she is. I became a fan years ago, when I saw “Lady Sings The Blues”. She is INCREDIBLE!

• Da March 1, 2011 at 4:47 am

Cute little guy. He looks a lot like his mom and grandfather.

• adaigbo February 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

It’s very easy for kids to learn to speak more than 1 language. I am bilingual & my cousins are trilingual only because they lived in a different part of our country that spoke another language different from our native one, Igbo. And we all learned English in school. Kids can absorb languages like sponges. Right now, I’m learning Italian, Spanish, German & French. I love it!!

• Jazz February 28, 2011 at 6:36 pm

If Rhonda and her son dont look just like Berry Gordy! I wish they would stop denying that! Lol

• alyssa February 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm

OK!!

• Vee February 28, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Why would her son have to look like Berry Gordy too?

• Leo February 28, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Didn’t Rhonda already come out and say Berry Gordy was her bio-father? I wasn’t under the impression that it was still a secret.

• And Her Name Is Me March 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

Jazz- Ummera.. Lol.. Rhonda being Berry Gordy’s child has been out in the open for almost 20yrs now. Give or take. She knows and there’s no denial. =0D

• Pisces February 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm

His grandpa is Berry Gordy. How nice.

• toy February 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

He lo0ks just like his grandpa…BERRY G

• jsayinit March 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm

My thought, too!

• Myranda February 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Is Rhonda’s husband any relation to Eddie Kendricks from the Temptations???

• Fashionedbygod33 February 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

This is what I have been wondering for a while. Also, I believe that Eddie Kendrick (Kendrick like her husband) is his real name but he added the s, if I am not mistaken.

• Tamika February 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I loved this episode of the Oprah show. Oprah will truly be missed, she is the only person that could have paid tribute to a true Diva like Diana Ross the way that she did. And I just loved, the video gift the Ross family prepared for Oprah!

• Amy February 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

You can’t control or hide the African American genes in your grandkids, can ya, Diana?! Teeheehee….

• Amy February 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm

And you could have kept YOUR comment to yourself! I meant exactly what I said!

• And Her Name Is Me February 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm

IDGAD about what you think I could have done. YOUR COMMENT was UNCALLED FOR! #THATWILLBEALL #HAVEASEAT

• Vee February 28, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Gotdamm…everytime there’s some biracial people in a pic on this site people get all out of whack with the ignorant comments. Like race mixing is something new in our community…sheesh.

• Victoria March 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Should Diana Ross have tried to control or hide the African-American genes in her grandchildren? I always thought African-American ancestry was pretty awesome and didn’t need to be hidden or controlled.

• Teri February 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I watched this show and got teary eyed. I’ve listened to Ms. Ross since I was a child, and I miss that era. The music is unforgettable, and people still rock to it 40+ years later!

I really enjoyed the interview with her children. Her grandson is a doll baby. I love how they truly admire and have the uttermost regard for their mother.

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I’m not in that age bracket but I must agree with you that the music from those days was GOOD! I hate our music that we have today. I don’t even like the most of these artists.

Also, don’t Diana look like she is so happy to be a grandma? I saw the show too, and she loves her kids and grandchild. I love this woman.

• And Her Name Is Me February 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Yes! Real music! GOOD MUSIC! I’m 31 and I listen to nothing but classic R&B and Soul.

• Teri February 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

@And Her Name Is Me – RIGHT ON!!!! There is no denying that those musicians back in the day were the business!!!

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Me too! I’m 29 and I listen to only music from the 90′s, 80′s and way back in the day. I don’t turn on the radio anymore bc the mucis and artists is wack!

• Vee February 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm

No doubt…old school is the best.

• Victoria March 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Count me in the classic music club. All I listen to is classic R&B and Soul, Motown, and old movie soundtracks with a little old-school New Orleans/Dixieland jazz thrown in for good measure. I get DOWN to Louis Armstrong, Diana Ross, Nina Simone, Tina Turner, Ella Fitzgerald like nobody else, LOL. There’s nothing better! :-)

• Teri February 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm

@C-Sassy, you are absolutely right. The music then was awesome! It was so different because companies like Motown groomed their artists. They were taught etiquette, how to conduct interviews, and anything less than greatness wasn’t accepted. Many of those artists were trained musicians as well. They knew their craft. Also, no two artists sounded alike. You could tell one from the other when you heard the first note of a song or their voice. Today, almost everyone sounds alike. They are cookie-cutter images of the next person or they are studio manufactured.

Thank God for youtube that keeps old school music alive, because if I had to listen to most of this junk put out today, I wouldn’t listen at all.

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Back then, they didn’t care about your wacky hairstyle or your weird outfits! Your look were more classy for both men and women. You had to had to have talent, meaning you had to know how to sing. No auto tune mess! Plus they didn’t care if you were fat or skinny. All they cared about is if you could sing or dance.

I wasn’t born back then, but my mom would play their music in the house. The 70′s-90s music were good also. I am just lost with this generation music. I don’t like it and miss the ole days.

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm

@Teri, you are so right! It is funny bc my mom and I were just talking about the old Motown days and how they groomed their artists and trained them to do interviews, speaking publicly, and how to dress correctly. The point that you made about everyone’s music being different is so true. Back then, they didn’t care about your wacky hairstyle or your weird outfits! Your look were more classy for both men and women. You had to had to have talent, meaning you had to know how to sing. No auto tune mess!

• Teri March 1, 2011 at 2:02 am

Yeah, C-Sassy, Motown was all that. You made a great point about the artist not caring about being original. They had their own style, and they weren’t afraid to show it. I think of Parliament and Funkadelic right off the top of my head, Bootsie Collins, and nem. There was no mistaking about having to have talent, and they did because so many of these vocalist started off in church. Girl, don’t get me started with auto tunes. If an artist wants to use auto tune, it should only be used to enhance a certain effect.

Also, C, you don’t even have to be born back then to enjoy the rich sounds of the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. Shoot, even the 60’s! I love it when younger people love and appreciate REAL music, and there are a lot of them.

I’m lost with this generation’s music too. I understand each generation has its own sound, but it just seems as though the quality isn’t there anymore.

• Champagne March 3, 2011 at 12:24 pm

@Terri I concur–There is no music like ole school music. That’s when people coule actually play their own instruments.That was real talent. These suckas today can’t sing let alone play anything. Rappin is not singing! I agree Thank God for Youtube so whe can pick the ole school we listen to.

• Deshay March 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Im 24.. & all I listen to is the 80′s & 90′s, Music was great back then but nowadays Its dead (in my opinion)!

• Mercedes March 2, 2011 at 12:09 am

I agree Deshay. I’m 20. Music, to me music started getting really bad in the early 2000s. It seems to me that you can’t tell the difference between pop, R&B or rap with what’s released now.
        The best music is the older music.
        When my mom used to hear me listening to music from her generation, she would give me a weird look (lol). If something’s truly good, it doesn’t matter when it was made though.
        I don’t think most of the songs released today will be remembered. A lot of the songs aren’t classics but sound as if they were slopped together.
        I love 90s and before.
        A lot of genres of songs, not only R&B’s, were better.

• Fashionedbygod33 February 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Love Diana and she’s still the #1 diva; looking marvelous. Beautiful family.

• And Her Name Is Me February 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm

BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!! I watched this last week. Very close family. I still idolize Diana Ross. Wanted to be like her when I was a wee one. Lol. Her Grandson is a handsome little man and smart to boot!

• LisaLisa February 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I think he is cute beyond the clothes. You are a shallow bookworm!

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I think he is a cutie pie!

• Bookworm J February 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Mmm..The baby got cute clothes on. That’s all I got to say!

Diana looks good for her age! She sounds even better.

• PlainMean February 28, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I don’t even think his clothes are cute…

Love Diana though!

• Pisces February 28, 2011 at 11:00 pm

You two are too much! LOL.

• Vee February 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Dag…the kid’s ready for college…LOL!
    That’s good, I like when kids are exposed to a good education at an early age. Rhonda and her hubby need to keep that going.

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I wonder how they got a 18 month old two be tri-lingual? I know it is possible but I want to know how? So one day when I have kids, I can do the same with them. I hope they keep it up until he is grown. He will be really marketable in the workforce.

• KJMc February 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I don’t have kids, but from what I have heard, it is very easy for kids to learn language(s) between the ages of 0 and 5 years. So if you speak it to them, expose them to music or videos in different languages during this stage in their lives, they will pick it easier than an adult. Kudos from them. I hope I am able to so the same wiht my children one day.

• Bookworm J February 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm

It depends. I can be kind of hard I guess.

Most kids don’t speak very well English at that age. They tend to shorten words or associate with one word with 5 different meanings.

I would love to believe but until I hear the child talk, I’ll take it as over exaggerating. Last time I checked, she nor any of her siblings spoke another language. How would her son pick it up if it’s not spoken at home? The most efficient way to learn a language is at home.

Also, she said he understands and reads in X amount of languages but he doesn’t speak of it?

• Bookworm J February 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Just to add on, someone at his age wouldn’t even be in a school that teachs that.

I highly doubt he could get into daycare. You have to be what? Two years old and potty trained?

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm

@Bookworm- I know some daycares that take children as young as a newborn baby. I think it cost more bc they require more things and care. But you can enroll you child in a daycare as young as a newborn baby.

They also have overnight daycare centers for parents that work overnight. Or maybe that is just here in Chicago. I don’t know if other states have these types of daycares as we do.

• Vee February 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Ok maybe her husband speaks those other languages?

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I think you right that maybe the dad speaks different languages. Plus nowadays, you can buy foreign language dvds or a tutor to train your child to speak different languages. As someone mentioned, kids learn languages better when they are young babies,so she might be doing that.

• KIM March 1, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Salma Hayek daughter is Multilingual Salma speaks to her in Spanish, Her French hubby in French, the nanny in another language and everyone in English.My nephew speaks
            English (mY SISTER)), Spanish(the nanny/babysitter) and Ebonics(smile) from her baby daddy’s family(SMILE)

• C-Sassy February 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm

OMG!!! I saw this show last week and he was sooo cute. PLus Diana Ross was looking fierce. Her five kids were all cute and successful. Raif seem really intelligent.