LATIMORE ANNOUNCES NEW PARTNERSHIP WITH HONEYCOMBS

LIYA KEBEDE AND FAMILY ARE IN VOGUE

Model Liya Kebede, her husband Kassy Kebede, their son Suhul,11, and daughter Raee,6, are featured in an editorial shoot for Vogue magazine entitled ‘Across The Aisle’.

In keeping with the theme of the shoot, Liya was asked to share the most memorable part of her wedding, which took place a little after her son was born: “The most memorable part of our wedding,” says model Liya Kebede, “is that our son, a year and a half old at the time, was our ring bearer! I wish our daughter could have been there, too!”

What They Are Wearing:(On Liya): Rochas floral-print silk top and A-line skirt; Rochas.com. John Gallinao hat. Giorgio Armani handbag. Dries Van Noten platform pumps. (On Kassy Kebede): Armani Collezioni Suit. (On son Suhul): Ralph Lauren tuxedo. (On daughter Raee): Oscar de La Renta dress.

CAPSLEEVE FLORAL COTTON DRESS-$290

You can purchase Raee’s dress at OscarDeLarenta.com

Photo: Arthur Elgort

23 Comments to “LIYA KEBEDE AND FAMILY ARE IN VOGUE”

• Marco November 27, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I see quite a few Ethiopians with Caucasoid features. I understand that an Amharic legend goes that they are the descendants of Solomon and Sheba. Their ancient Christian civilization is wonderful and of course they are very attractive. The only thing they have in common with sub-Saharans is that their skin is quite dark.

• informed February 21, 2013 at 7:27 am

To be honest Africa is diverse. You would realize this if you visited. Also, the rich ancient history of Ethiopia and Somalia is not Arabic is a more recent language. Keep in mind language tells us the roots of civilization and Afar (which is similar to Somali and Oromo is one of the oldest languages around). So you may want to read familiarize yourself with that. Just so you know Ethiopian semetic languages like Amharic predates Arabic. So who came from home again? My thoughts exactly East Africans are older, so don’t insult them that way.

• informed February 21, 2013 at 7:13 am

Somalis and Ethiopians are not mixed simply because they do not fit into your box of what it means to be black, which is very diverse. Their languages are older than Arabic. I think the reverse is the case. East Africa is the cradle of life.

• Jean February 3, 2013 at 4:16 pm

It is quite obvious that Ethiopians and Somalis are a mixed race of black and Arab that goes back several generations. They are a beautiful people. They are Ethiopians and they are Somalis. They are East Africans. And they are Africans. They are beautiful people of our world and our universe. That’s all that matters. Nothing more.

• kimmieg June 15, 2012 at 7:52 am

I think she is beautiful! Her family is gorgeous! I love the movie she did “Desert Rose”. Watch it! She’s a great actress..I wish her the best and more success!

• Love May 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

Of course we ARE Africa and Black ! Who says we are not? I bet who ever said that has not grown in Ethiopia and lost his/her identity.

• Rosey June 11, 2011 at 5:53 am

People, Ethiopians, Somalians and Eritreans will tell you personally that it is an insult if you consider them to be even part-Arab as they consider themselves 100% African and wouldn’t have it any other way. Stop being so dumb people ! Just cause they don’t look as much African as their counterparts, doesn’t make them any less. AFRICANS COME IN A VARIETY OF SHADES, ETHNIC MAKE-UPS AND TEXTURES. educate yourselves before assuming dumb things!

• amband February 10, 2012 at 12:27 am

the may consider it an insult to be seen as part Arab that does not mean they aren’t. North Africa is full of Arabic people

• Mar April 30, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Ethiopians do consider themselves Black and African which they are. I am married to one, and I am in African-American. I hate to say this but its not just Ethiopians that think African American men are lazy I hear it from other African people. I was not so shocked though because I heard before Africans do not like Black Americans.

• – ASD Throwback: i-D Magazine, 2005 AFRICA STYLE DAILY April 22, 2011 at 9:03 am

[...] Diaspora. Liya Kebede may be a supermodel, humanitarian, actress and entrepreneur, but she’s also a proud mother to two children Suhul and Raee who she posed [...]

• gtsa April 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm

You are really mindful of color it seems, lol. I have heard that some Somali and Ethiopian people do not consider themselves black which I found interesting.

• antigonie April 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Not necessarily identify through skin color (since almost everyone is black), they identify ethnically through what some refer to as “tribes”/ethnic group such as the Tutsi, Hutu, Twa, etc.

• gtsa April 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm

That is true, but there is another element to it with some. Some are offended to be associated or categorized racially with sub-saharan or west african blacks. Not trying to stir any pot. I haven’t experienced this first hand but again have heard of it first hand and other. Some consider themselves to be more ‘caucasian’ leaned than ‘negroid’. I don’t necessarily like using those terms, but it explains what I am trying to say best.

I feel people should i.d. however they wish. My issue is the condescension that accompanies this with some people.

• Aline Usanase April 27, 2011 at 7:20 am

Ethiopians, Eritreans, Somali and Djibouti don’t consider themselves African. They’re a mix of Arab and Black African, but have completely rejected their Black side. They call other Africans “N…” and “Slave”.

• ThroughMyEyes April 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

They are a cute family. I think Ethiopians are pretty people.

• bck reader April 21, 2011 at 11:10 am

she wishes her daughter could have been there for her wedding too? uh, no you don’t lol! i’m glad they at least did it when the first one was 1 1/2. but no, you didn’t need 2 illegitimate kids. i’m jus sayin. that’s what wedding videos are for.

• bck reader April 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm

“Ditto!”

• gtsa April 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm

That is mute. She eventually married the father of her children and he is in their life. Thats what matters. And apparently they have been going strong over a decade. Better than marrying for appearance and divorcing less than 3 years later, which is sadly becoming some sort of norm. Why bother?

Cute pics!

• gtsa April 21, 2011 at 12:35 pm

*moot

• luna April 24, 2011 at 2:40 am

Well said!!

• luna April 24, 2011 at 2:43 am

*Agree with ‘bck reader’

• Vee April 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

Cute pic, nice looking family.

• La April 21, 2011 at 10:15 am

What a fun pic! Love it!