ZENDAYA SUPRISES A FAN FOR RMDA

JADA PINKETT SMITH GAVE UP HER CAREER FOR HER KIDS

Actress Jada Pinkett-Smith is featured on the cover of the latest issue of Redbook magazine. In the issue, the actress reveals that she gave up her career so she could concentrate on raising her children  Jaden, 12, and Willow, 10.

Jaden and mom Jada Pinkett-Smith

She says to Redbook magazine, “I had to make choices. Believe me, I would still be on the road with my band, Wicked Wisdom, and making as many movies as I can a year, and doing all sorts of other things if I didn’t have the responsibility of a family. But I have children with their own talents and dreams, and I know I have to be standing next to them for that journey.”

She adds, “It was excruciating, completely excruciating. When Jaden was auditioning for The Pursuit of Happyness, my band had just gotten an offer to open for Guns N’ Roses in Europe. For me, that was unbelievable. But the choice was: I could be a rock star, or I could be on the set with my son to make sure he was healthy and happy. We all know how that story ended!”

The working mom also admits that she would prefer to raise her children in Hollywood than “in the streets of Baltimore or Philly”.

“Let me tell you what I fear most: Them growing up like I did, in a house with drugs in a war zone, where if I walked out my door I could be shot. Hollywood ain’t nothing compared to that! Growing up in the streets of Baltimore, or the streets of Philly where Will grew up — I’d rather have my kids here. It still makes me nervous that they’re part of something that isn’t totally real, but it’s up to Will and me to teach them what’s real and what’s not.”

See more pictures at RedBook magazine

Tags : Posted in : Actors

52 Comments to “JADA PINKETT SMITH GAVE UP HER CAREER FOR HER KIDS”

• knowlasales.com July 28, 2013 at 4:33 am

Normally I do not read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, very great post.

• 10 Celebrity Moms We Wish We Had - 100.7 KOOL FM May 9, 2012 at 10:23 am

[...] Smith, did the latter when her two children Jaden and Willow came into the world. She didn’t just give up a highly lucrative movie career– she gave up her shot at music stardom by quitting her band Wicked Wisdom at a time when [...]

• Celebrity Moms We Wish We Had May 9, 2012 at 7:31 am

[...] Smith, did the latter when her two children Jaden and Willow came into the world. She didn’t just give up a highly lucrative movie career– she gave up her shot at music stardom by quitting her band Wicked Wisdom at a time when they [...]

• 10 Celebrity Moms We Wish We Had May 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm

• 10 Celebrity Moms We Wish We Had May 8, 2012 at 1:29 pm

• ArmedAqaurian July 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Wow…. I did not expect so much hate on what seemed to be a nice story…

• Emma Horne July 9, 2011 at 11:00 am

Of course Jada, if you want you can give up your career and stay home focusing on your children. you have millions of dollars in your bank account, your kids are stars and making good money, your husband is rich… you living the life.. you can open your mouth and say so!! for other women, it is impossible.. we went to college and earned Ph.d AND MEDICAL DEGREES, MBA etc… I work for the U.N and travel all the time for my work all around the world.. so imagine how difficult for me to open my mouth and say: I AM STAYING HOME AND RAISE MY KIDS. How would I send them to college? pay the bills, and the mortgage.. SO JADA I WILL SAY… GIVE US A BREAK.. WE THE SIMPLE WOMEN….Puffffffff pluck pluck!!!

• bylena July 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm

smith family….god bless you all….have you guys been back to east coast?

• JADA PINKETT SMITH GAVE UP HER CAREER FOR HER KIDS | Hell To Da Naw! July 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

[...] BLACKCELEBKIDS.COM- Black Celebrity Kids,babies,&#1072nd th&#1077&#1110r Parents Posted in BCK Tags: Career, Gave, Jada, Kids, Pinkett, Smith « Bishop Eddie Long Accuser Arrested In Miami On Drugs & WEAPONS Charges!!! You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. [...]

• lig July 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

she’s still working on tv. didn’t give up her career. if she were a stay at home mom she might get some props but in reality she’s not doing anything special. she’s working full time and she’s raising her kids. like most of america. yawn.

• jaman July 1, 2011 at 2:55 am

Jodie is not Sheree’s baby!

• Cindy Carter July 1, 2011 at 1:52 am

@ 2June.. Why not give her a pat on the back? How many kids in the industry have parents who just allowed their kid/s to be monitored without them being there? So many child starts have went down hill because the parent didnt have the means or understanding of being there to watch over their child. You have agents and so on who will take advantage of the child. In this day and time? I will never allow my child to go alone without me or their father there 24/7 to make sure he/she dont get taken advantage off.

• Ree July 1, 2011 at 1:07 am

Well, she’s not lying about these Philly streets…

• yo June 30, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Is she on television? That’s not exactly giving up your career.

• Keis July 1, 2011 at 10:28 am

Exactly, I could saw my husband watches her azz every Tuesday night on TNT. LMAO. She must mean her real career was being a musician and not an actor.

• Mita_Jay June 30, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Wow, I have been coming to this site for about 8 months and everytime I see a Jada, Jaden or Willow post mostly every comment is bashing them about how they look, dress or act. Its sad. Why is it that Jada is the one who has to answer all the questions about the kids? Will is their father, those are HIS kids too. Why is it that no one is questioning him or coming down hard on him? Is it because he is an A-list actor and has money people put him in a higher spotlight than Jada? I dont see Will giving an explaination on how his kids ‘act.’ According to some people on this site Willow and Jaden are ‘outrageous and disrespectful’ Since when is calling Oprah ‘girl’ disrespectful? People make it seem as though Willow got in Oprah’s face and called her a ‘B–H!’ Jada should not have to give an explaination when its comes to her kids, they are not drinking, smoking or going to wild parties so Jada is raising them fine.

• Anna June 30, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Your posts are annoying . First of all Trey did act and model when he was around their age. He decided he wanted to stop and his parents were fine with it. Will and Jada will be fine with it if Willow and jaden Want to stop. Second Sheree only has one child . Trey. Third. Willow and Jaden do have talent you can’t deny that. YouTube Willow on Ellen and come back and say they don’t have talent. And Jaden in Karate kid that’s talent… Just because they have famous parents doesn’t mean they aren’t talented too

• ijustgottasay June 30, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Partly off subject, but I can’t help but laugh at Will giving Willow that Joe Jackson “you bet not mess up girl” look in the first pic lol. I’m sure that’s not at all what he’s thinking, but it’s still funny imagining him saying that.

• RG June 30, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Jada Pinkett “Smith” may be talented however she was fortunate enough to marry a man who is wealthy and loves her. In my opinion there was no choice for Jada to make because she does not have to earn a living or supplement her husbands income and she is still acting partly because of her husband’s clout.

• connie1 June 30, 2011 at 5:29 pm

WHAT CAREER? ARE YOU SERIOUS? JADA IS A GREAT ACTRESS. HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN WHAT MOVIES SHE HAS PLAYED IN? NOW SHE PLAYS THE LEADING ROLE IN HAWTHORNE AND ITS AN AWESOME SHOW. STOP YOUR HATING!

• Misunderstood June 30, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I’m going to go a different route and ask why couldn’t Will be with Jaden on the set of Pursuit of Happyness when he was in the movie. Why can’t will manage the kids while she’s on tour he’s not making movies and music all the time either just asking. Oh and please don’t say that is what mothers r suppose to do cause that is bs.

• Dlila June 30, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I’m going to assume you don’t have any children and that is why you asked that assinine question

• Misunderstood June 30, 2011 at 8:12 pm

First off spell asinine correctly secondly these kids have 2 perfectly healthy parents. Why is all the pressure always placed on the mothers. I like Jada’s show Hawthorne so she didn’t put her career on hold. All I’m saying is they have 2 parents use them both.

• Crad June 30, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Gotta cut them some slack on this one. Will had his own lines, character emotions, etc. to have to deal with during filming. I think it’s nice that Jada could be there to support both of them.

• gaelle June 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm

so does she want the mother of the year award or something??

• Amber June 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

i love jada & will. And I don’t think she’s wanting a pat on the back. I mean she could have a nanny raising her kids and that would not make her a bad mother, i mean mothers who have to work at regular jobs and barely see there kids are not bad mothers their just working. Some people just don’t see celebrities for what they are people, and people have it in their nature to be selfish & she’s saying that she wasn’t selfish.

• scorpio4lyfe June 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I love the pic of Jaden sitting on mommy’s lap…

• scorpio July 10, 2011 at 11:39 pm

i totally agree with you! and btw im a scorpio 2!

• theyknow June 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Are there any people on here with common sense? I see a few actually get that the magazine asked the question and she answered. The others seem to just think she’s calling the mags and stating the same thing over and over again. I mean r u seriuos??? Not everyone who is raising their kids has the same exact story so why does it bother you that she talks about life???

• Anna June 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm

And it’s nice to see that Willow plays the piano. It’s good to keep kids busy keeps them out of trouble! Willow and Jaden have very good and balanced lifestyles .

• Anna June 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I know Jada is sick of giving these answers .. These magazines need to get some new questions. They be asking her the same things all the time.. Lol I would get sick of it! She’s a great mom and raising great kids and those are awesome pics!

• Teri June 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Good for her. Every day women do the same thing. Kudos to anyone WHO IS ABLE to stay home with their children. Also, kudos to those mothers working outside the home who can’t or choose not too. As long as your kids are thriving, healthy, and loved, do whatcha gotta do.

• my take June 30, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Just because there are millions of mom on the planet, doesn’t mean each story of parenting and motherhood isn’t special no matter if it is not unique. Jada is merely giving her take on what this has meant for her, personally. Nice read.

• Cendy June 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm

She is doing what she is SUPPOSED to do!! Her “career” wasn’t going anywhere anyhow. To me it seems she is managing them versus raising them.

• Juriah June 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm

ITA that she seems more like their manager than their parent. A real parent would have their grown azz attitudes in check. I am still ticked at how Wilow addressed Oprah ad “gurrrl!”

• RUSERIOUS!! July 4, 2011 at 6:23 am

OMG!! Get over that already!! We still don’t know if that was “staged” or not! She’s not addressing you that way so what is the big deal? People find the dumbiest crap to nit pick over. SHE, JADA chose to give up HER JADA career to see to HER JADA kids…not everyone has the resources or finances to do it so why knock her because she does!! I SWEAR sometimes I wish I wasn’t BLACK!!!

• haydnikki July 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm

WoW! Do you wish you weren’t black b/c you don’t like when other black people have different opinions from yours? I find that to be a weird/interesting statement for you to make simply b/c you have a difference in opinion on this subject area.

• connie1 June 30, 2011 at 5:27 pm

HER CAREER IS GOING GREAT. HER SHOW HARTHORNE IS A GREAT SHOW AND SHE IS A GREAT ACTRESS. WILL AND JADA CAN BOTH ACT AND SO CAN THEIR KIDS!

• Seriously June 30, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I am tired of her repeatedly saying this too..this is what parents do for their kids. They had the kids so they have to raise their kids and support. This is nothing new.

• missnamatovu June 30, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Well done Jada! As mothers, balancing family and career is a constant struggle for us. I am dealing with this issue right now. FOrtunately, I’ve been able to stay home with my son through his first year,thanks to my husband, but find that I’m now worried on how I’ll be able to handle both and be successful. If I had the kind of money you have, I wouldn’t work either, but alas some of us have to go back to work when we’s really prefer to be with our children. Any working mothers here?

• Sherley June 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Yes missnamatovu, been working & raising my son as a single mom since he was 2. It’s very difficult, but a wonderful pleasure. Seeing how my son is turning out, he makes it all worthwhile.

• S. June 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Why does she want a pat on the back for doing what she’s SUPPOSE TO do. I swear our standards are so low today that we feel good about ourselves for just KEEPING our children… smh

And I’m STILL giving her a side-eye for making the music she does AND letting her children listen to it… horrible influence imho

• Truth Seeker June 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm

How do you figure she wants a “pat on the back?”

• connie1 June 30, 2011 at 5:25 pm

SHE DOESNT WANT A PAT ON HER BACK BUT SO MANY PEOPLE TALK BAD ABOUT HER, WHEN THE TRUTH IS, SHE IS A GOOD PARENT AND IS RAISING TWO BEAUTIFUL TALENTED BLACK CHILDREN!

• Seriously June 30, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I didn’t like her music either nor her band. I do like Jada,Will and Jaden as actors. It do seem as though she is always mentioning this &I don’t know why when thousands of other regular mothers are out here working & supporting their kids dreams with less resources & money.

• theyknow June 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Apparently someone form the magazine asked her this so she answers the questions. If they aske the others then they can do the same. I mean really!!

• theyknow June 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

The haters always appear when the “Smiths” are mentioned. Sure there are millions of moms doing it but are they in the magazine???? No I’m sure when someone ask them the question they will tell their story as well.

• jno June 30, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Whats wrong with the kind of music she makes? So its loud and makes people jump around like fools, but at least they dont talk about guns/killing people or degrade women like every other genre of music, especially rap.

• kayla June 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm

When your that wealthy giving up your career is a little different then the average person.

I also want them to find a nice healthy looking style for Willows hair, She has hair like Jada, they need to keep it done.

• shesallthat July 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

oh.my.goodness! of course she “gave it up”! that band was going nowhere fast! it was not a big sacrifice!!!LOL the reviews were always horrible and that is why they were always in europe trying to jump off. but even over there she could not get any play and if it had not been for her time at ozzfest she still wouldn’t! women do this all the time for their kids – it ain’t nothing new jada!! we ALL have choices we have to make.

• UGOGURL June 30, 2011 at 12:33 pm

YOU GO JADA!! FAMILY FIRST!!

• WYB July 16, 2011 at 9:26 am

Yes, Jada, you are doing the right thing.