ZENDAYA SUPRISES A FAN FOR RMDA

WHAT NOT TO WEAR TO WORK: Featuring Pretty Girls who Rock Dresses

I’m a conservative dresser and believe that it’s best to maintain your “interview attire” a couple of weeks after you’ve landed a new job. Believe me, you want to get your seat warm before you start testing the waters with your wardrobe. Not too long ago some companies mandated that women wear pantyhose with sandals to work. The rule of thumb for me is that if you don’t work at Hooters or The Gentleman’s Club, then you probably don’t want to show cleavage on the job.

Tight Booty Jeans and over the Bra Cleavage are a “No Go” in the Workplace.

You do not want to shock your supervisor the second day on the job by wearing a mini shirt, and a purple push-up bra reveling your weekend tan-line cleavage. That kind of outfit would have you in the Human Resources Department in a flash. Don’t test the waters.

Susan M. Heathfield writes for About.com suggests, “Clothing that reveals too much cleavage, your back, your chest, your feet, your stomach or your underwear is not appropriate for a place of business.” Most companies have dress code policy’s and mandate that their employees follow the dress code.

Dearroka Winfrey, from PrettyGirlsRockDresses.com, runs a website where women from around the world share their best dressed work attire. There are over 1,000 photos of women in everyday wear from Target to Prada. Dearokka shared photos of women who have a clear sense of style in their daily wear.

“Jean Day” at work doesn’t mean your tightest pair either. Below are a couple of items not to wear to work:

1. Tight jeans
2. Low cut tops
3. Short Shorts
4. Flip-Flops
5. Short skirts and dresses

Put that miniskirt back in the closet. The rule of thumb for me is that if you’re standing up straight with your arms on your side and your fingertips don’t touch the hem on your skirt, then your skirt is too short. Save it for the club. I like to select my clothes several days or the night before, because I don’t have time to get the kids ready for school and choose a suitable outfit in the morning.

Kim N Carswell, Chief Brand Strategist from Persona Affairs states, “Unfortunately many women unwittingly compromise their professional brand credibility by making costly missteps in following fashion trends, which ultimately sabotage opportunities for career advancement.”

It’s fine to have a unique sense of style. I admire people who are able to mix different patterns and colors together, but office attire needs to remain professional and not sexy.

What would you add to the list of what not to wear? Do your co-workers dress too sexy? Have you talked to them about it? Let’s start a conversation!

About Dearroka Winfrey: The girl who was always in search of a RIGHTEOUS cause or person to support has now found a cause and her very OWN righteous movement. Her mission is empowering women and girls to do better by embracing femininity. Feel free to email her at: prettygirlsrockdresses@gmail.com if you have any questions.

Visit my blog Married with Two Boys follow me on Twitter like me on Facebook and connect with me on LinkedIn.

Featured on MyAtlantaMoms.com

9 Comments to “WHAT NOT TO WEAR TO WORK: Featuring Pretty Girls who Rock Dresses”

• .UVWRV1dNPi4 April 1, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in truth was a enjoyment account it.

Glance complicated to more delivered agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we communicate?

• TalentOptional September 13, 2011 at 7:29 pm

My co-worker wears one-shoulder tops and skin-tight skirts all the time. She struts around like a peacock. It’s tragic and comedic at the same time.

• Sojourner Marable Grimmett September 20, 2011 at 8:59 pm

WOW – Maybe send her this link! :)

• Shay September 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Well, there is a lady at my office that wears tights to work. she either wears black or gray and she doesn’t wear a jacket long enough to cover her hip either! she also wears see thru shirts and HR has said nothing to her.

• KekeB August 10, 2011 at 9:32 am

Nothing sheer or see thru, this lady at my job wears sheer tops and you can see her bra or whatever little tank or sports top she wears under then. I believe that is inappropriate, save the sheer tops for your days off.

• Sojourner Marable Grimmett August 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm

KeKe – Yes, sheer tops at work are definitely a NO GO!

• Sojourner Marable Grimmett August 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm

• Mia August 10, 2011 at 9:24 am

No spaghetti straps with the bra showing!!!!!!! (this girl at my job does it all the time and I work for a law firm!!)

• Kiwiana September 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Strapless, “boob-tube”, dresses; because lord knows it’s only a matter of time before the milkshakes spill out and all over the yard.

Jumpsuits and any kind of overalls, no matter how “classy” or “tasteful”. A young woman at my office came to work in one, which would have been appropriate if I worked at a retail store.

Too much leather. TIGHT leather. How much is too much, and how tight is too tight? Looking like a S&M fanatic covered in latex, means it’s too tight. Having to put up with the glare coming off of your glossy catsuit with twenty zips, is too much.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to portray a sexy visage, or accentuating your God-given assets, but there is a time and a place for everything. Thank you Mama Guru for putting this up to remind our ladies that class is not only a noun, but an adjective and category reserved for those who are truly respectful, tasteful and empowered.