TAMERA MOWRY-HOUSLEY SAYS IT TOOK A YEAR TO LOSE THE BABY WEIGHT

ZENDAYA HITS THE ELLE RED CARPET

MARISKA HARGITAY: ‘ADOPTION WAS A BUMPY RIDE’

Mariska Hargitay and husband Peter Hermann gained much attention last year after adopting two children within six months time. Although the couple were delighted to adopt, Mariska and Peter were not happy about the process. In an exclusive interview with Good Housekeeping, Mariska opened up about the adoption process saying, “I’m not gonna lie. There were wrenching moments. I say to everybody, Adoption is not for the faint of heart.”

Hargitay reflected back on a time when she and Peter adopted a newborn. After naming her and two days of parenting, the baby’s biological mother decided to resume guardianship. Mariska and Peter were heartbroken. The actress states, “The long and short of it: the birth mother changed her mind. It was nothing short of devastating. But … this is what I’ve come to understand about life: It was probably the greatest, happiest ending. I mean, it was so painful for us, but it was deeply joyful and deeply right for her.”

Although she describes the adoption process as a “bumpy ride,” Hargitay says it was “worth the fight.” Mariska and Peter are the proud parents to children Amaya Josephine, 13 months old, and sons Nicholas,9 months, and August, 5½.

Photo: Moremagazine

Tags : Posted in : ActorsFeatured

20 Comments to “MARISKA HARGITAY: ‘ADOPTION WAS A BUMPY RIDE’”

• fabolousE April 7, 2012 at 12:05 am

Everytime I see her I want to adopt a little girl so bad. She is an inspirational person and a good mom.

• RandomTandem April 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I believe her 9 month old’s son is Andrew…I think Nicholas is is middle name, isnt it?

• Infiniti278 April 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Righhhttt! Ok

• Anon April 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I love Mariska. Great human figure and a beautiful and talented actress.

• puddingpop April 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Wow, what a beautiful beautiful baby girl. Congrats to the happy couple. I would love to see more black celebs adopting black kids. Since so many people always making negative comments about white people adopting black kids.

• Misunderstood April 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Amaya is too stinkin cute! I love Benson and wish her and the family the absolute best!

• Keiri April 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I went back and read the article. It’s very confusing. Was Amaya then returned to Mariska and her husband or was she a subsequent adoption?

• Kim April 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

A subsequent adoption with another birth mother. The same thing happened to my neighbor but it was the birth father who changed his mind.They got another baby eventually, though.

• Jessica April 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

It was kind of was confusing but the 1st baby girl was returned to her mother after 2 days. A few months later they get a call about another woman (Amaya’s bio mom) and they adopt her child Amaya, then Andrew.

• Keiri April 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Thanks Jesaica!!

• Keiri April 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I just adore Mariska!!! They are all so blessed by this union.

• Sherley April 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Love Mariska! So happy her daughter & son are black so I get to see them on here all the time. They look so happy..love it!

Thx Robbie, I was wondering about that. Amaya was meant to be their daughter. She’s looking at her mom with love in her eyes.

• Robbie April 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm

You’re welcome Sherley. The article is a great read. Mariska actually helped to deliver Amaya. :)

• Pippi April 6, 2012 at 3:47 am

I love seeing them, too! A side note, though, only Amaya is black. Andrew is white. Kudos to her for adopting, though. :)

• Deshay April 5, 2012 at 10:32 am

Love love love Mariska, she is by far my favorite actress. She’s blessed to have those babies

• Robbie April 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

Cute. They both look so happy .
    BTW It wasn’t Amaya’s birth mother that changed her mind. It was another baby girl that they had to give back. Amaya was adopted after that.

• fsc3etienne April 15, 2012 at 9:40 pm

That must’ve been so devasting. To have to give back a child that you’ve bonded with and longed for. God bless them.

• truly amazing April 5, 2012 at 10:03 am

Kudos to Mariska for adopting such a beautiful baby doll…the both of them look like they are having the time of their happy lives !!!!.

• meg97 April 5, 2012 at 9:55 am

omg how adorable li chocalate drop she luks healthy & happy lk a li baby doll make me wanna hav anothr baby but aftr having 3 i think not lol beautiful baby

• E April 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I was going to say the same thing, she looks like a doll baby lool she’s so adorable