WATCH: NEW INTERNATIONAL ‘ANNIE’ TRAILER

Transracial adoptions: A Hollywood Trend?

Celebrities adopting children from other countries has become somewhat of a “norm” these days. Angelina Jolie’s adoptions of her son Maddox (from Cambodia), Zahara (from Ethiopia), and Pax (from Vietnam) seems to have triggered more and more celebrities to not only adopt, but to adopt outside of their race and countries.

Some people feel that the sudden “trend” for Caucasian celebrities to adopt African and Asian children should be put to an end because the celebrities wouldn’t be able to fully engross the children in their native culture and because they are getting special treatment from adoption agencies. They also may not understand some of the basic needs of the child such as the different care an African child needs for their hair.

Although, the new parents may not be fully aware of or understand all of the intricate details involved in raising a child of a different ethnicity, at least they are willing to open their hearts and their homes to these children when others have not.

Is it better to let the children be adopted by people that have the means and the ability to properly take care of them, or deny them just because they are of a different ethnicity? Should the child suffer because their new mom and dad look different? What are your thoughts?

Tags : Posted in : Mama Guru

20 Comments to “Transracial adoptions: A Hollywood Trend?”

• mgm October 29, 2012 at 8:43 am

What the big deal? I’m a black male myself, and I don’t see nothing wrong with it. It shouldn’t matter if the parents are white, asian, indian, green, or blue, as log as they can give the black kids a great home, and take good care of them,thats all that matters. If these other black people that have something against it, why don’t they adopt them. Instead of finding something wrong when somebody else adopt do. As for as the hair issue, all they can do is take the boys to a barber shop, and take the girls to a beauty palor, or just brade it up. some people talking can’t use that as an issue, for the people not to adopt.

• Sheranity-Willow June 4, 2012 at 4:10 am

@myn cosign!

• myn May 30, 2012 at 10:06 am

Black racism is so prevelant, as this person’s interest to write about this non-issue illustrates, using the same old excuses: black hair care and black culture. It you’re so concerned about black children being adopted by celebrities, focus on black celebs who aren’t adopting.

• Char F May 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Well I personal don’t have a problem with people adopting outside of their race, I’m just confused about how many CELEBRITIES, that are doing it. I mean you have to admit Jillian Micheal,Charlize Theron, come on now…it’s like lil black kids are the perfect accessory, or their way of giving black (I meant back!) Enough already!

• Ineka June 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Charlize is Afrikan(white people from south African). They are of Portuguese, British, etc decent. With all the horrible Apartied (can’t spell today) history in South Africa, it is nice to see an Afrikaner take a child of color to love and embrace. It is like a full circle: my ancestors discriminated against you but I know that’s wrong and I fully embrace you. Plus I do belive Charlize has an older sister whom her mom adopted in Africa so it is normal for her to have a child that looks like her older sister whom she loves. I think her sister is some kind of business executive but doesn’t like to be pictured.

• Ineka June 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I have to correct myself. Charlize is an only child but it is still wonderful to see her adopt a person of color from her own continent. Jillian Michaels is the one with an older black sister. I just read the article.

• Joyia May 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Race should not matter in adopting a child. All that matters is these children are being provided loving, and stable homes. And unconditional love, and a chance to live the american dream despite circumstances.

• Kisha May 26, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I don’t think this was a fair posting. The reason transracial adoptions are so popular is because the waiting list for a white child is so much longer than for children of color. There is a greater demand to adopt white children than there is a supply. But there is a much larger supply of children of color and/or children from other countries than there is a demand to adopt them. So, if you’re a couple, white or whatever, that is yearning to have a child, you can wait and wait for a white one to come available, or you can take one of color home today. For those big-hearted, color-blind parents-to-be that just want a baby to love, guess what option they’re going to take?

And I’m sorry, but it’s no harder for them to raise these children than the many, many parents of bi-racial children. There are single, white mothers with black (bi-racial) children out there who somehow manage to raise their children just fine. As the child grows older and starts to ask questions–if the parent(s) haven’t already nurtured his/her ethnicity–then it will come when the child directs them. And, I’m quite sure not growing up in an orphanage or with a drug-addicted parent is MUCH worse than growing up with loving parents that may not know what a hot comb is.

• SweetKaye May 28, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Agree fully!

• Artemis May 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Awesome post, Kisha. I too agree. Some races in America don’t have a culture, therefore if there is a loving and color blind family wanting to adopt ANY child, culture doesn’t come into play.

• Mrs.Mac May 26, 2012 at 8:27 pm

This is exactly what we need in this world. Until you LOVE someone who is different from you, you will never truly care about their plight in the world. That’s why we are not truly living in post-racial America yet. We give lip service to diversity, but behind closed doors, we don’t really care. Most people still live segregated personal lives. Why fight against racism if it does not harm you or anyone you love? So I think these adoptions are great. There are obviously more children of color available for adoption. Would we rather see them remain orphans, or go to families who want them?

• Shay May 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm

On one hand, you’re wondering why they’re adopting black kids. Is it easier, because they’re wealthy, or because no one else is adopting black kids? On the other hand, you’re giving these children homes, love and attention they need – which doesn’t matter if they live in a town house or a mansion.

• kim May 26, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Contact your local foster care agency my sister adopted 3 boys didn’t cost her and the state pay their health insurance

• Margaret May 26, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I think having the money and fame makes it easier for them to adopt. I wish I had the fame and money to adopt…..I would be first in line.

• EVELINA RAE May 26, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Trend? Maybe, but the bigger picture is these children are getting homes, love, attention, support and a promising future. I say “F” what the parents look like and look at how these adoptions have changed lives for the better. I am proud of how much attention adoption is getting. I’ve said I want to adopt every since I was 13 and now at 25 in the next 5 years I hope to achieve that dream. Oh yes…and I will request an African American child, but I am very open to other races too. All children need love and when I get the call that a baby is in need of a Mommy I WILL NOT ask if her or she “looks” like me ’cause there is only one race…the human race.

:D

• Sherley May 26, 2012 at 1:40 pm

BCK, I am not happy with you starting this post. The things people have already said regarding these adoptions weren’t cruel enough?

Leave these innocent children be. Leave these women/couples who are able to provide a very good life to them alone. They are not hurting anyone.

• Trisha May 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Agree!

• Motswana May 26, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I recently read stats on adoption, i can’t remember the exact details. It stated that in 1 year in the 90s (can’t remember the year) around 2000 black kids were adopted by white people, and the number is increasing every year. It’s not a hollywood trend.

• Pisces May 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Those kids love Cheetos!

• Motswana May 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I hardly think that some 10 white celebs out of ( for argument sake) 150, adopting black kids, in particular, makes a trend.