TAMERA MOWRY-HOUSLEY SAYS IT TOOK A YEAR TO LOSE THE BABY WEIGHT

ZENDAYA HITS THE ELLE RED CARPET

WILLOW SMITH ATTENDS BET AWARDS + PREMIERES NEW VIDEO “I AM ME”

Willow Smith, 11, and brother Jaden Smith,13, walked the red carpet at the 2012 BET Awards on July 1, 2012. The duo looked as cool as ever in matching rockstar outfits.

While at the event, Willow premiered her video for “I Am Me,” which is her first video since her hit “Fireball” with Nicki Minaj.

“It’s just explaining who I am and what symbolizes me—like me as an energy, me as a person, just cool and rounded,” Willow explained about the new song.

The young star definitely doesn’t hold back her feelings in regards to the controversy that has been circling concerning her different hair choices. With lyrics like “I dye my hair and it’s not just vanity… your validation is just not that important to me”, she belts her frustrations and peace in being herself.

Check out the video below!

Photos: Reuters

35 Comments to “WILLOW SMITH ATTENDS BET AWARDS + PREMIERES NEW VIDEO “I AM ME””

• Hmmmm July 5, 2012 at 12:53 am

Have to agree with the earlier post by Neonlove…strange symbols & statements – “Making friends with spirits lost…” Just didn’t like the lyrics/video/music (too redundant), just her voice. She’s growing musically tho..

• blackberry21 July 4, 2012 at 12:22 am

she can sing, but she is gonna be one of those weird artist who dress like they from another planet lol

• Tisha July 3, 2012 at 8:12 am

love the song. i think Willow is great and i love that her parents let her express herself without going overboard. i think she is gifted and will go far in whatever she does. its just sad when people talk about a child that way. you may not agree with everything that she does or that her parents allow her to do but stop judging! you are not GOD and i am sure there are a lot of things that you do that GOD doesn’t like, such as “JUDGING OTHERS”

• maria July 3, 2012 at 1:04 am

I am 51 years old and i love this song you are A and My shooting STAR.Reach for the STARS, go for it and don’t look back.These people havn’t done much for themselves and Society and that’s why we are still at this level,because pull down is easier than given a helping hand to come up.Thank you for being YOU.

• Momofboys July 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm

IMO – Its a lil too much responsibility in the hands of [Smith] kids. I don’t care about her hair or the clothes children need to be children as long as they can. Yes they are talented, they were born into it and nurtured by it therefore talent was something cultivated from birth so kudos. But yes I disagree with how much they are in the forefront they are young let them share the light and gain center attention thru experience and growth. Let them grow as individuals and artists. As for the song, the message is an old truth and the style of the video reminds me of her dad (fresh). I wish all young entertainers the best regardless of who their parents may be.

• juice July 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

i love the song and the innocence and simplicity of the video[i am 22 years old and feel totally empowered by this song- if an 11 year old kid can do it (have such confidence), what is stopping me? so instead of being all negative,lets focus on the message- willow will be ok- yes, she will make mistakes but at the end of the day, that is a part of growing up. the principles that she learns at home are more important than her clothes and body piercings- my mum use to let me stick on fake tattoos on my body as a kid and i was allowed to wear short stuff but guess what? i made it to college- so people chill and pray for her instead if you think that she might be heading in the wrong direction, instead of throwing insults at a little girl]

• EVELINA RAE July 2, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Oh, goooosh (In my Granny’s Trini voice) Jaden’s waering Willow’s pants, lol.

They’re both so cute!

• Kaye July 2, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I think it’s good for a young girl to be proud and secure in who she is. A lot of our young girls are out here dressing like little fast tails and people are more accepting of that, but when girls dress similar to Willow they’re called “weird” and they need to “change” when there’s nothing wrong with it. She’s not wearing booty shorts and crop tops, or nothing inappropriate, so that’s why I’m sure her parents let her be as free as she is.

• Jasmyn July 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Willow keep doing you! Keep ignoring this ignorant grown folk(and young). Your opinion & feelings about yourself is all that matter.

• me July 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I love it! She has a beautiful voice..On that note, what’s wrong with Jaden???Does he need glasses? Why is he always making that face???

• Jernero94 July 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

What happened to the girl who was whipping her hair? Don’t get me wrong; I like Willow, but she’s doing way too much. If she was like 15-16, them maybe I would’ve accepted what she has become. But she’s only 11, and I can’t look past that. She’s a very wise and talented girl, but that video and her recent style isn’t doing it for me.

• Jasmine July 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Love the song and the message. What is wrong with her play the piano? Willow has grew from whip my hair and the growth is beautiful. The video was different but in a great way. I LOVE to see kids who are confident in their selfs nothing matters most than knowing you are beautiful with long hair, short hair, purple hair or pink hair. It is great to express yourself and not care what anyone else thinks! Keep it up Willow you are amazing:)

• klassy July 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm

LOVE this !!!!!! I have been behind Willow since day one. She is a beautiful girl/soul inside and out. I pray she continues to shine with the support of her family/friends/fans.
    She reminds me so much of my daughter. I hope all the critics listened to this song and put a sock in it. GO WILLOW!! Beautiful inside and out!! : )
    BTW… I was at work when I heard this song and saw the video…had me in tears. absolutely a HIT!!

• aries July 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Young people talk about willow too in a negative way. The Smith know how cruel people can be towards entertainers. Everybody is not going to like her because she is an entertainer. She is a child first and for her to be 11 she does do things that most 11 year old children dont do.

• Denise July 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Well she wrote the song herself! Makes me love her even more :) I seriously love her!

• bOh0.B@Rbie July 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm

This child is truly wise beyond her years and I love all that Willow represents. Regardless of generation, so many AA are intimidated by other AA who choose not to buy into the one-dimensional themes of what it means to be black. From the young to the old, we have been blatantly and subliminally taught that we are inferior and those of us who reject these notions and are brave enough to truly “do us” are constantly branded as being weird, “acting like white folk”, etc. Whoever is responsible for placing us in the black box, blacks or whites, is now irrelevant since we are the ones suffering from such low self-image, worth, and esteem.

• Neonlove July 2, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I thought the video was kind of weird. The blue symbols in the back, and her “being an energy.” What? It all had a strange despondent spirit about it. “Empowering” messages, sometimes have other meanings. Just saying.
    On a positive note, Willow’s voice is getting better. She can make music like Rachael Crow, fun, age appropriate, and inspiring.

• Ajax360 July 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Oh my God, I can’t believe how much I love this song, always loved her ability to self express, within guided reasoning; coming from an artistic background I understood it. I’m a 46 year old female. Not all old foogies are against who Willow is.

• Camille July 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I know I’m rambling but that’s just how upset I was over the comments. Lol! The same Polon judging her are the first to bump Nicki Minaj and Rihanna. Talkin about I’m a stupid this and beez in the trap. Smhh! Now if some of these grown artists had as much respect for themselves as she does. Okay.. Lol I’m done. But I’m just really really proud of her! I know Jada must be smiling ear to ear . I can see it now! Amazing kid amazing!

• Denise July 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm

A lot of people are just unhappy, so it’s natural to ignore boundaries and tear down a child. Willow is probably more articulate than 98% of the adults who say mean things about her. They see her confidence and realize that her’s is at a level they’ve failed to achieve in all their years on earth. Her parents seem to love & support her very much, which is the most important thing in her life at this point. That little girl is beautiful and has a much brighter future than those who “can’t stand” her.

• Camille July 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm

And sorry but it is mostly the black community judging her. You wouldn’t believe all the insults people were saying . The thing that made me the saddest was I saw a tweet like “Willow Smith is 11 years old, dont tell anyone about
    Being yourself until she gets her first period.” My point is maybe these “adults” need to listen to what this 11 year old child has to say. Some of these really insecure women can take notes from her honestly . So she has all my respects and kudos. You don’t get too many kids like her:) Kudos to her parents .

• Mercy July 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Willow is an individual and her parents love her. They allow her to be her self. She’s very pretty too, with short or long hair. She has a beautiful spirit, even at her young age, and is talented.

• Myeshia July 2, 2012 at 11:28 am

I agree with Camille! Everybody on Twitter was talking so bad about her & it was just sad. She’s a little girl and she is expressing herself. She’s a beauty and the song was beautiful.

• RandomTandem July 2, 2012 at 11:03 am

I love this little girl! She is talented and wise beyond her years. People need to back off! Especially the adults. Its crazy to see how ignorant adults can be. This is why kids in school are bullies and act the way they do..because they go home to those types of adults. that behavior is learned.

Im glad willow is comfortable in her own skin! Im proud of her and I hope she stays that way and doesnt let society or other people influence her negatively.

• MRSREYNOLDS July 2, 2012 at 10:46 am

That was so touching and beeautiful!

• Iridescent Me. July 2, 2012 at 10:40 am

I absolutely loved the video, the words and the message. Willow is a gifted child. A free spirit with an old soul. Bless her.

• truly amazing July 2, 2012 at 10:25 am

This is the BEST!! song willow has made…and the song is so beautiful & she did a good dang job at singing it!!. There’s a lot of adult artist who don’t make songs like her’s , and getting it straight to the point!!. Well done young willow…well done.

• Ateya July 2, 2012 at 10:21 am

Indeed great video and message

• Camille July 2, 2012 at 10:21 am

Yes little Willow better tell these grown folks. I was on Twitter and let me just say the black community is said. They were throwing all sorts of insults towards her, her sexuality, calling her all sorts of names. It was just cruel and disgraceful. Sadly if women/girls had as much self-love and respect for themselves as Willow……. Love this little Willow, be yourself! She’s a beautiful soul . Looking like daddy. Lol. But Will and jada should be proud! I sure am of her :)

• Camille July 2, 2012 at 10:21 am

*is sad

• Iridescent Me. July 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

I agree Camille. It is so sad and it hurts my heart to see grown adults talking like that about a child. This universe is BITTER!She is beautiful inside and out. Listen to the song SHE WROTE! No one helped her. She’s special and has a gift!

• PlainMean July 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

Agree with all you said, but do we have to do the black community bashing? The comments by other races aren’t any better and criticism isn’t unique to any race. Love Willow and the Smith family!

• Trisha July 2, 2012 at 10:20 am

Loved the song, great message. Go Willow!

• Connie1 July 4, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I HOPE THAT HATERS CAN NOW SEE THAT THIS LITTLE GIRL CAN TRULY SING. SHE IS SO TALENTED AND BEAUTIFUL

• Tellitlikeitis July 2, 2012 at 10:13 am