ZENDAYA HITS THE ELLE RED CARPET

ALICIA KEYS TALKS NEW ALBUM AND SON EGYPT

Alicia Keys is a busy mom and songwriter with an upcoming album and tour. Girl On Fire, set to debut November 27,  is said to be one of Alicia’s ‘out the box’ projects inspired by her family. Although she has recorded albums in the past, this record is viewed by the artist to be her first ‘grown-up’ production. Check out what the singer had to say to Entertainment Weekly earlier this month.

About the album.

“This album represents a new me in every way. I mean, you’re still going to feel me and you’re still going to identify with what part of me you’ve identified with before. So that’s the cool part. But everything about it is different because my mind frame is different, the energy about it is different, the song lyrics are different. There was something that happened to me that I just really wanted to write these great songs. I sat there and was just really focused on writing songs. I wasn’t focused so much on creating some crazy beat. I wanted to write these insane songs that could live on their own and people couldn’t deny them. So I started a lot of the process like that and because of that a lot of the songs are actually very simple.

But because they’re so simple, there might be this big, huge beat in it. And maybe there’s the piano in it, and then maybe there’s like this kind of piano in it that sounds like a guitar in it. And then maybe there’s like a bass in my voice — and that’s it. Whereas I thought [before] that I had to put 300,000 different instruments in a track for it to sound big, I realized that the less I put in it, the bigger it sounded because it just occupied difference spaces. And that was it. So there’s kind of a rawness to it, I think — like a bigness from that.”

How much pregnancy has influenced her.

“Pretty much all of [the songs] were written after Egypt.  [Child birth is] like you go through an immediate — you get an immediate perspective shift. There’s just nothing like it. And, all of a sudden, it’s like you’re a full-on grown up. It’s obviously because you’re a mom and you’re caring for another life. But it’s more than that: It’s like you have a sense of what feels right and what doesn’t feel right.

It’s so interesting how before I would literally debate and debate and debate, like, ‘Hmmm, should I or shouldn’t I?’ Or If I had a particular choice to make, it would be like ‘Maybe I should…’ And it’s like the debate is gone now. I know pretty instantly what it is. If I just listen to myself…you know, ‘Well this cuts in too much to that, and this takes away too much of that. And I just don’t feel comfortable with that, so I’m just going to let that go.’ It’s just easier. There’s definitely that growing up and more consciousness of what important to me at this time and why I’ll do anything to make sure that that stay’s true.”

Taking Egypt,1, on tour.

“I wouldn’t even go anywhere if he wasn’t coming! I’m actually really excited about it because he’s at the perfect age to come with me. He’s just at that great, beautiful age where he’s exploring so much and he’s learning so much. He’s taking everything in.  I feel that 100% it’s going to make me look at the world in different eyes.”

A cameo for her little one?

“I don’t know; he might need a cameo, you know what I mean? He might. I don’t know what’s going to happen. You mean the song Jay[-Z] did? I don’t know; he may need to say a couple words. There’s one song in particular called “When It’s All Over” that he may need a little feature on. So we’ll see.”

Egypt and Blue Ivy doing a record together.

“I’m telling you, I think that they’re going to have a big future.”

Tags : Posted in : Singers and their Kids

22 Comments to “ALICIA KEYS TALKS NEW ALBUM AND SON EGYPT”

• Cathy August 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

When you create your own music and live it and breath it, the music is your baby and it is very personal.

Alicia Keys is a great musician and I will continue to support her music.

• See Ya Later August 27, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Singers always hype the new cd like its them in a different place, grown and sexy, etc… And, its always the same old tune. Love Alicia but she ran out of fresh ideas a few cds ago.

• Trisha (the original one) August 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Blue & Egypt? feature hip hop 1st couple? lmao

Egypt seems like he would walk on stage & shut it down lol. Like he did at his father’s radio interview & he was talking into the mic while Swizz was talking lol. I’m excited for new Alicia Music

• PlainMean August 27, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Beyonce, keep the Deans away from our Blue Ivy! She doesn’t need those bad influences… Lol. Just might check out AK’s album on Spotify.

• Sherley August 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hey, hey, hey..Egypt is innocent here. I see a cute couple in the making.

• PlainMean August 27, 2012 at 1:24 pm

He’s cute, but he might grow up and inherit some of his Father’s philandering ways! Plus his mama is a little loosey goosey herself. Blue will be better off with Little Curtis or my Kenzo!

• Sherley August 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I am a perfect example, just because your parents are screwed up doesn’t mean you will be. Just because we don’t see Blue’s parents’ ways in public, doesn’t mean they are any better. Besides..as dapper as Egypt is, Blue might be the one gone.

• PlainMean August 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I guess BCK didn’t like my comment since it hasn’t post! That’s fine. I need to be good anyway because God might send this hurricane my way and I want it to jump right over my house!

• Sherley August 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I’m praying the hurricane misses you PlainMean.

• Trisha (the original one) August 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm

If Blue has been around Kim K, The Deans are the least of worries lol

• PlainMean August 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm

That’s Kanye’s company…

• Sherley August 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Kanye has issues with his choice in women & that man needs prayers on top of prayers. For the record..I don’t judge strippers. We all have to do what we have to do to survive.

• Trisha (the original one) August 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm

“I don’t judge strippers. We all have to do what we have to do to survive…”

LMAO!!

• Sherley August 27, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I’m with you Trisha. Kim K & Kanye are far worse than Swizz & Alicia.

• PlainMean August 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Kim K is one fluzie that’s cool in my book. She’s loose but seems like a sweetie from her show! Oh well.

• Sherley August 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Feel same way about AKeys. You have your fluzie & I have mine ;).

• universitychick August 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I’m not a huge Bey fan but I never shade Blue, why shade Egy?

• PlainMean August 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

“Not a huge Bey fan” is an understatement! All jokes – no need to get feelings involved.

• Sherley August 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I love me some AKeys & baby Egypt is my lil man man.

• universitychick August 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

So Egypt actually met Blue? Gimme a pic Alicia! By cameos I thought they meant him in a video not on a song lol

• Sherley August 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Girl, we barely get a pic of Blue.

• universitychick August 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm