FIVE WAYS TO MAKE A TRIP TO THE DOCTOR EASIER FOR EVERYONE
For most kids, a trip to the doctor’s office is something that brings on stress and fear for both the child and the parent. Here are 4 ways that can help ease a child’s fear of going to the doctor’s office and make the trip more pleasant for everyone.
1. Don’t use a threat of seeing the doctor as a means of discipline- This can cause a child to have a fear that wasn’t there before and make them associate going to the doctor with negative thoughts. Instead of teaching kids that going to the doctor helps them stay healthy or get better when they aren’t feeling well, they’ll see the doctor as someone mean that’s set out to hurt them.
2. Stay calm- Children first look to their parents on how to act and react to all situations. If you are calm, your child will be more calm as well.
3. Comfort them- Let kids know that everything is ok by giving them hugs, kisses and back rubs as a means of comfort to help ease fears and soothe kids after shots.
4. Tell the truth- If your child is getting shot and asks if it’s going to hurt, be honest. Let them know that it will hurt, but only for a little while. Kids trust parents to tell them the truth.
5. Preparation is key-Some experts suggest that you read books such as The Berenstain Bears Go the Doctor, Elmo Goes to the Doctor, Madeline and Curious George Goes to the Hospital to prepare your kids for their visit to the dentist.
Many of these tactics will make a trip to the doctor pleasant for both parent and child.