There are far too many children that fall victim to those that prey on under aged children. With social media, especially, not having a guaranteed method of monitoring who and how people use the sites, it’s become even easier for predators to find and “groom” potential victims. As parents, it’s important that we educate ourselves and our children on how to spot danger and stay safe against pedophiles. Here are 5 ways to help keep your child safe and stop them from becoming a victim:
1. Be honest about the world- It’s very important to explain to kids the truth about real dangers in the world around them without making them live in constant fear. Kids should be smart enough to be conscious of their surroundings, but not too scared to enjoy them.
2. Talk about appropriateness- Explain to your kids that they never have to hug anyone they don’t want to hug. Never force your kids to show physical affection when they don’t feel comfortable. Explain that the parts on their bodies that are covered are covered for a reason and that they shouldn’t show them, nor should they be shown them by anyone.
3. Open communication- Keep the lines of communication open. Let your child know that they can talk to you about anything and that if they have any questions, they can and should come to you first. As a parent, ask questions. Be nosey. If you feel that a situation isn’t quite right, find out more.
4. Think beyond the “dirty old man” image- Pedophiles come in every walk of life. According to www.child-safety-for-parents.com, about 5% of abusers are female.
5. Get involved- According to www.childluresprevention.com, many predators prey on victims where the parents are physically or emotionally absent because it makes the child more vulnerable. Get active in your child’s life. The same site also stated that 90% of victims know their assailant. Know who your child spends time with on and off the Internet.
What are some other ways that you can keep your child safe against predators?