ZENDAYA SUPRISES A FAN FOR RMDA

HOT TOPIC: HOW OLD IS TOO OLD FOR BREASTFEEDING?

faust5

Mimi Faust received quite a bit of backlash after revealing that she nursed her daughter, Eva, until she was three years old on the latest episode of ‘Love & Hip Hop Atlanta.’ Although the general public can appreciate any mother who cares for her child, many believed that 3-years-old was too old for a child to still receive breast milk from mom.

In a recent response to all of the criticism, Mimi told VH1 that Eva did not begin eating solid food until after she turned 3-years-old. “My daughter wouldn’t eat, all she wanted was breast milk,” said Faust. “She was really adamant about not eating baby food, she just wanted breast milk. I wish I would have brought my Flip Cam, I have video of when I tried to feed her baby food. She was like ‘Nope, I’m not eating that!’ But when she grew in teeth and was, you know, asking for it, I said enough is enough.”

Mimi is not the only mother who has breastfed her child beyond the public’s expected months of nursing. Lynn Stuckey of Illinois recently spoke out about her decision to continue breastfeeding her son at 8-years-old saying, “Kyle is my only son and he’s very important to me … and he’s going to be allowed to nurse until he decides to finish weaning himself.”

What do you think? Is eight or even three years old too old for nursing? What is an appropriate age for a mother to wean her child off of breast milk?

Photos:Instagram

Tags : Posted in : Hot Topic

28 Comments to “HOT TOPIC: HOW OLD IS TOO OLD FOR BREASTFEEDING?”

• Lioness August 3, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Three years is just fine, not too long at all, in my opinion. And experts in this country aren’t well-trained in natural nutrition at all… I mean, who on earth would tell somebody a child receives no nutritional benefits from breastfeeding past 18 months? Does that sound as silly to anyone else as it does to me? Our children should stop breastfeeding at 18 months because it stops being nutritious, buuut are encouraged to drink milk from another animal species because that IS somehow nutritious? Does that make sense?

Eva looks perfectly healthy to me- definitely doesn’t look malnourished. Mimi did what was right for her and her family, and Eva doesn’t seem to have suffered for it. Now, having Stevie J for a daddy, on the other hand…

• Why July 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

I nursed my baby boy until he was 1 yr. old after which he weaned off. I am so happy to have breastfed, but I was tired of it. How much milk were the kids getting from the breast at such an older age? I was struggling to pump enough for my son to have during the daycare hours. Jersey cows…lol

• Wanderer July 29, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Cute little girl. IMO, the child should be weaned at the age of 2. I wouldn’t look too much askance at a three-year-old still nursing; even though, I think 3 is a little too old for it. However, nursing an eight-year-old is outrageous. A child who is old enough to be in grade school is too old to be breast fed!

• Oxford July 28, 2013 at 5:40 pm

After I left my comment I read the others and I honestly think that Black Americans have too many hang ups. A womans breasts number one purpose is food, secondary to that is sexual.

Too many people put the secondary purpose in front of the first and don’t offer support to the mums who want to breastfeed their kids. The article below is not about age but I find it interesting because my aunt have nursed my brothers when my mum was tired or had run out of milk and my mum has nursed my cousin.

The breast vs formula debate is fooling mothers, especially younger ones into believing that formula is better for their bebes. There will never be a better food for a bebe than breastmilk. Formula should only be used as a last case food.

Even when free clinics (like the ones my aunt runs) offer free breastpumps and breastfeeding support; when American agencies like WIC offer nutritional support for nursing mothers, most choose formula (I know this for a fact as I have volunteered at the clinics for over three years).

All of our households offer nursing support (places to pump, secure breastmilk storage), but even in the islands younger mothers are choosing formula and I don’t understand it. One of my dad’s companies makes ready made formula (no water added, since in the islands and overseas water can be impure and deadly for babies) but employees would still ask for powdered formula. No, they don’t get it from us.

Everything is about money. If a mother is not employed and getting government benefits why does she need powdered formula? Agencies like WIC shouldn’t offer that kind but there’s money to be made so American young mums and low income mums are being encouraged to give their bebe’s something that higher income mums are not giving their bebe’s. Both of my parents give their nursing mums 15 minutes every two hours or 30 straight minutes every four hours to pump and store milk for their bebes. They can’t offer the same benefits to their American companies when the union gets involved.

Doesn’t seem right to me, but what would I know I’m just a girl. Doesn’t seem right that adults want to eat in the best restaurants or buy the best food in Tesco’s but don’t want to give their bebe’s the best. OK, my rant is over.

• Dee July 28, 2013 at 9:17 am

I tried breastfeeding with my first but she didn’t do that well with it and I didn’t have a lot of support from family on either side. I still wanted to breastfeed my second child and I was successful with him. I nursed him until he was two years old and by then he was eating table food and drinking water and juice. He at that point would nurse in the evening and this I do not think was for food but for comfort just before sleep. I find it odd the Mimi daughter wouldn’t eat food other than breast milk.

• lashonda gordon July 26, 2013 at 2:45 pm

i cant and wont speak for anyone else but when i had my daughter, my lactation specialist told me that regardless of a persons personal decision, there is no nutritional benefit from breatfeeding beyond 18 months… BREAST PUMP!

• Jo Somebody July 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

I don’t when ‘too old’ is for other mothers; they can do what they like tbh, but this would not be me. My baby sister is an active, independent and a little wild 2-year old; although all children aren’t the same, I just can’t imagine a child like her breastfeeding! I’m mean, she’s BIG!

• BrownSugar July 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

I breastfed both of my kids. My daughter weened herself @ 6mon even though I still pumped. My son weighed almost 10lbs at birth so I did both breastmilk and soy formula for almost 10 months. He use to rub my arm while he was nursing and at 14 he’ll still rub my arm when he’s sitting next to me. But there’s NO WAY in hEll, I’m gonna nurse his big grown 6’2″ behind!

I think Mimi nursed Eva longer, as a way to stay closer to Stevie. She sure looks alot like her dad!

• aries July 26, 2013 at 9:28 am

Breasts pump works fine. Put the milk in a cup.

• Artemis July 26, 2013 at 9:14 am

My two sons weaned off at 13 & 15 mos. In some countries, (that don’t have or provide formula) children are encouraged to nurse from birth to 8 years of age.

• miyahrimom12 July 26, 2013 at 8:20 am

she is a cutie!! And hey whatever worked for them but I sure wouldn’t have it done that long. That’s her first kid so she probably was super attached and wanted her to be her little baby girl as long as possible…but she didn’t get teeth until she was 3 yrs old?????

• Trisha (the original one) July 26, 2013 at 10:02 am

I heard she has an older son

• miyahrimom12 July 26, 2013 at 10:51 am

o really??? Hmmm didn’t know..thanks

• NursingMommy July 25, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Breastmilk continues to provide antibodies, as well as closeness and comfort, well past the age of 1. My 3 year old will still ask for “boo” and occasionally nursing her and her baby sister together while they hold hands is so sweet. What makes nursing wonderful for a 12 month old, but not for a 13 month old? There is a woeful lack of nursing in the AA community and all this judgmental stuff doesn’t help. I admit that 8 seems old to me. But there are far worse things to worry about when it comes to parenting decisions.

• Oxford July 25, 2013 at 7:21 pm

My youngest brothers (twins) turned three in January along with my cousin. Both my mum and aunt stopped breastfeeding that month. My niece is 28 months and will be fed donated breast milk (she is adopted) from my mum and aunt until she is 36 months.

Although I am an American I am culturally for the most part French. We shouldn’t judge what we don’t understand. My uncle’s wife is Somali and like my mum she works outside the home. She is a Physician while my mum is a business woman. My baby brothers go to work with my mum but for my aunt coming home at the end of a day and breastfeeding her daughter was a bonding moment for them.

I don’t agree with the Mimi woman when it came to the solid food though. A lot of our nanny’s and help are from the islands and my brother’s were eating mashed sweet potatoes, dashine and tanya with gravy by one and a half. And they loved it! I think the Mimi woman waited too late to introduce solid food to her baby and the baby didn’t like the texture and the mum didn’t push the issue. HUNGER FINDS NO FAULT WITH FOOD!

The extended breastfeeding is good for the child if the mother is in good health. Makes no sense to continue breastfeeding a child if you are eating junk food daily or boozing it up on the regular. I was 12 maybe 13 before I ever got really sick. Before then it was just what happens to kids when they come out the ocean or pool wet and didn’t get dried off properly.

• Habesha July 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Not every mother is able to breast feed. I do agree that breast milk is best, however for some because of medical reasons it may not be possible. I think it’s important to respect each others choices and not be judgemental.

• TwinANgels July 25, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with her nursing her child until she was three years of age. My daughter will be two in December, and she nurse up to five times a day. However, she does drink water, eat dinner, and have a few healthy snacks throughout the day. I believe that it’s a child’s birth right to be breastfed when circumstance allow it.

• Neenee July 25, 2013 at 3:26 pm

After the first year of nursing, the baby isn’t getting adequate nourishment w/breastfeeding alone

• brooks July 26, 2013 at 8:29 am

Very true!!!!

• Misunderstood July 25, 2013 at 3:08 pm

3 years is a bit much but 8, his mother needs to be SLAPPED!

• Nene July 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Breastfeeding a child is the best thing you can do for your child when they are starting out in life. I don’t think anything is wrong with breastfeeding a 3 year old. I see kids as old as 3 with baby bottles in their mouths.

• truly amazing July 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Breast milk is the best milk….I don’t have any issues when mother’s breast feed toddlers up to three years old. Any age after that is a bit too much in my opinion. Years ago I was on YouTube and this mother was breast feeding her 12 & 13 yr old kids. They lived in another country were it was normal to do. I was shocked !!!.

• Katherine G July 25, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I saw this. I think this is the one I was talking about where dad was talking about he drank too.

• Delishious caker July 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Damn Eva looks just like her daddy especially her eyes, She All “Stebbie”.!!!;)) as far as breastfeeding i think its a wonderful bonding healthy thing to do for your baby..but 3yrs uh uh..smh…

• Shawndrika July 25, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I breastfeed both of my children until they were 1. I felt that gave them a good enough start. However; I would be just as appalled seeing a 3 year old nurse or still using a bottle.

• Katherine G July 25, 2013 at 11:40 am

I didn’t breastfeed my kids beyond a year but I say to each their own. Now 8 is too big in my opinion. I don’t see a problem with up to 3 years though. I recall seeing a video where a woman was still nursing her 17 year old, 12 year old, and even her husband. There has to be some kind of limit. I don’t judge anyone. That was her choice and if her daughter wasn’t eating she had to get nourishment from somewhere.

• Wanderer July 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm

OMG! That is so beyond outrageous! And the husband, too?! SMH

• ImaniJoy July 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

Three years is a bit lengthy to be nursing but I do believe that every woman should try to nurse (if they are able). Eight years old and that child is headed for some serious psychological issues. LMBO. Its unfortunate that there aren’t many advocates for breastfeeding in the AA community and most woman stop because of how it makes THEM feel/selfish reasons rather than the best interest of the child. IMO, 1 year should be ideal and I wouldnt go past 18 months