PHOTOS: EMILY B’S DAUGHTER CELEBRATES BIRTHDAY WITH ’16 IN THE CITY’ BASH

SOFIA RICHIE HEADS TO COACHELLA IN STYLE

MICHELLE OBAMA ON DAUGHTERS: ‘I GIVE THEM AS LONG A LEASH AS THEY CAN HANDLE’

obamas
Although she is a woman who believes in rules and boundaries, Michelle Obama is not one to take away her kids’ independence. The First Lady recently spoke with Parade about her parenting style, which she describes as being more lenient when it comes to her daughters making decisions for themselves.

“I give them as long a leash as they can handle,” said the First Lady. “What I tell my kids is, I’m preparing you for college and for life. So, having independence, knowing how to set your own boundaries, figuring out how to make that balance. We still have screen time rules [though],” affirmed Mrs. Obama. See more interview highlights below:

On thinking about where Malia will go to college.
You know, I am really trying to tone that way down. Because kids are under unreasonable pressure, and it can destroy a high school experience.

On the rules she has set for the Obama daughters as they grow older.
I give them as long a leash as they can handle. What I tell my kids is, I’m preparing you for college and for life. So, having independence, knowing how to set your own boundaries, figuring out how to make that balance. We still have screen time rules.

On whether her recent description of herself as “a single mother” was an acknowledgement of the pressure that comes with always making the decisions about her kids.
That’s absolutely right. When you have a husband or a partner who’s either traveling for work or has huge responsibility … and I give my husband credit—he knows who their friends are, he knows what their schedule is. But he’s not making the calls to the dance studio to figure out what classes they’re taking next year … I think it’s important for both parents to shoulder that [responsibility]. I tell my kids, “I am thinking about you every other minute of my day.”

On whether she thinks having an African-American family in the White House has moved the needle.
Absolutely. Children born in the last eight years will only know an African-American man being president of the United States. That changes the bar for all of our children, regardless of their race, their sexual orientation, their gender. It expands the scope of opportunity in their minds. And that’s where change happens.

On why she chose a leadership role on the issue of childhood obesity in America.
When we started, there were people who were thinking, ‘Oh, that’s not an issue. Why is she picking that?’ But in a short amount of time we have turned a challenging problem into one where there are glimmers of hope and change. Our goal is to see the numbers reduced in a generation.

The President and First Lady have two children-Sasha and Malia-together.

For more, head to Parade.com.

11 Comments to “MICHELLE OBAMA ON DAUGHTERS: ‘I GIVE THEM AS LONG A LEASH AS THEY CAN HANDLE’”

• lose your stomach November 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm

You can even find certain thigh-toning workouts that can be done as you work.
    This pore allows the evacuation of the cell’s contents into extracellular space.
    It’s the time when men should understand that instead of suppressing them and making them realise that they are a weakling they both should work together for a better future.

• Tonya August 19, 2013 at 8:38 am

Seeing the girls so big now makes me feel old. They are such beauties.

• Connie1 August 17, 2013 at 10:26 am

THIS FAMILY CAN DO NO WRONG TO ME. THEY ARE SO INTELLIGENT, BEAUTIFUL, AND INSPIRATIONAL. THEY ALWAYS LOOK GREAT. MOST BEAUTIFUL FIRST FAMILY EVER. THE MEDIA TRIED TO SAY THAT THEY ARE ALWAYS ON VACATION YET I LOOKED BACK ON OLD PICS AND VIDEOS AND THE BUSH FAMILY WAS ALWAYS ON VACATION. ITS FUNNY HOW RACIST THE MEDIA TRULY IS.

• Meela August 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Love love Michelle however that single parent comment rubbed me the wrong way! I snap @ my married friends who say that when their spouse is away! Tending to your children alone for a week is no comparison to what a “real” single parent deals with on a daily basis! Most don’t get a break if they are not surrounded by a good support team! We are the good, the bad and the sole financial backbone to our families!
    Besides it made her sound a little whiny after all your husband is the president, she can hold down the fort.

• Sherley August 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Yes Meela, being a single mom while your spouse is away on business, sick or gone for a few days, weeks or months is NOTHING like being a single mother. They act like it’s the end of the world when they have to do it alone; they have no idea what a true single mother goes through on a daily basis.

• army brat September 3, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I feel differently. My mom felt that way because my dad was in the military. He was gone a year or two on deployments. Yes she wasn’t doing it by herself all the time but for single parents you usually start that way and stay that way versus having someone helping you then they are gone and you have to take care of everything alone, plus the stress of missing your significant other and worrying about their safety, and having your heart in your throat every time you hear about airstrikes and such on the news. She’s dealing with trying to keep things as normal as possible at home for the kids, run the household, and keep her sanity.

• Misunderstood August 16, 2013 at 3:41 pm

That’s exactly how I was raised! My mom gave me just enough rope to hand myself as she would say! To this day I’m very independent and a leader!

• luvdakids August 16, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Both of the Obama girls are beautiful! Sasha has gotten so tall!

• MICHELLE OBAMA ON DAUGHTERS: ‘I GIVE THEM AS LONG A LEASH AS THEY CAN HANDLE’ « sliveraide.com August 16, 2013 at 1:29 pm

[...] post MICHELLE OBAMA ON DAUGHTERS: ‘I GIVE THEM AS LONG A LEASH AS THEY CAN HANDLE’ appeared first on Black Celebrity [...]

• MICHELLE OBAMA ON DAUGHTERS: ‘I GIVE THEM AS LONG A LEASH AS THEY CAN HANDLE’ « aboutsliver.com August 16, 2013 at 1:28 pm

• miyahrimom12 August 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I love this family and I never thought about the fact that children under 8 will remember Black family in the white house as the first family the saw there. I really like Sasha’s pink dress.