NALA WAYANS, RACHEL HARRIS AND KENNEDY MCCULLOUGH ATTEND ‘A HAUNTED HOUSE’ PREMIERE

Featured

LATIMORE ANNOUNCES NEW PARTNERSHIP WITH HONEYCOMBS

Child/Teen Star

UPCOMING: AVERY COFFEY IS HEADED TO THE IVY LEAGUE

Upcoming

CHANCE COMBS AND FRIEND ARRIVE TO KIDS CHOICE AWARDS IN STYLE

Style & Gear

DO-GOODERS: THE SABATHIA FAMILY ‘PITCCH IN’

Do-Gooder

UK EDITION: JAMELIA WANTS HER KIDS TO SEE MORE MINORITIES ON TELEVISION

nash
The lack of diversity on television is really getting to Jamelia. The singer and songwriter tells media that the limited amount of minorities on the small screen is what prompted her to take part in the hit show, ‘I Love My Country.’

“For me it was a great opportunity because we don’t have enough black faces on UK primetime TV, so I jumped at the chance,” says Jamelia. “I am the mother of two black ­children and not much has changed since I was younger. Then if I saw a black person on TV I’d run and scream, ‘Mummy there’s a black person.’ We should have moved on from that by now.”

The celeb goes on to say, “It should be as normal for my children to see someone of their color on TV as any other race. I don’t want them to have any identity issues. It’s ­important to be ­represented in every way. I don’t want my kids to believe they can only be a pop star or sportsperson, I want them to believe they can be anything they want to be. That was my main reason for saying yes to this program.”

The star then goes on to talk about the difficulties she has encountered because of your skin color.

“I do suffer racism, although sometimes I don’t know if it’s ageism too. I’m a young person who owns a house worth over a million pounds. It isn’t a normal thing in my area.

“My children are aware of it, but I say to them, ‘Just because you see mummy getting stopped and questioned, don’t let that stop you aiming high.’ I don’t want them to see black success as a tainted thing, I want them to aim for it.”

Jamelia has two kids, Teja and Tiani, in all.

Photos: Mirror Magazine

Tags : Posted in : Singers and their KidsUK edition

Around The Web

6 Comments to “UK EDITION: JAMELIA WANTS HER KIDS TO SEE MORE MINORITIES ON TELEVISION”

  • Latest Candy Crush Saga Hack February 10, 2014 at 11:53 pm

    Hi, all is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing
    facts, that’s truly excellent, keep up writing.

  • Connie1 September 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm

    I LOVE THE WAY SHE KEEPS HER KIDS HAIR. GORGEOUS! MINORITIES ON TV IS A BIG ISSUE EVERYWHERE. THIS COUNTRY IS STILL VERY RACIST SO SISTA, DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH. I JUST HOPE WE HAVE MORE AFRICAN AMERICANS LIKE TYLER PERRY WHO ARE ABLE TO CREATE THEIR OWN SHOWS AND PUSH BACK AT THE CAUCASION BASED PRODUCERS/OWNERS.

  • niaboo87 September 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm

    I agree with her, but the United States of America. we do have minorities on television but were 95% on African American broad casting networks. We have BET/Centric, WeTV and Vh1 (<not always in a good light). And the other 5% is on white base networks, were there's only one black out of the whole cast. But I do understand where she's coming from and I am aware that there's still a lot of racism going on not only here but over seas. And I do have to admit we have 12 movies coming out with all African American cast so were getting there!

    Beautiful family by the way! :)

  • Katherine G September 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm

    Beautiful family!!

  • Jadele September 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm

    Well take it from a US citizen when comes to black people on TV look for quality not quantity. There are plenty of minorities on TV here and I don’t want my kids to watch hardly any of them.

  • Uk Edition: Jamelia Wants Her Kids To See More Minorities On Television | Gossipgrind.com September 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm

    [...] (via VIBE Vixen, 2 hours ago) [...]

Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Sign in to comment, or comment anonymously.

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.

Copyright © 2014 Blackcelebkids.com. All Rights Reserved. Maintenance by sonexmedia.com