SKAI JACKSON JOINS THE OBAMAS FOR EASTER EGG ROLL

HOT TOPIC: WHAT DOES A NANNY SAY ABOUT PARENTING SKILLS?

Reagan Gomez

Is a nanny necessary? Does the presence or absence of a sitter speak volumes of a mother’s ability to nurture her child? These were the questions that Reagan Gomez-Preston tackled in her latest Vlog entitled, ‘Let’s Talk About Nannies.’

The actress opened the session up by thanking her fans for subscribing to her channel, and then jumped right into the controversial stuff. “I think there’s a negative misconception when it comes to nannies,” said Reagan. “As soon as people hear the word ‘Nanny’ they just automatically assume that the nanny is raising the kids and mom must not be a good mom because, God forbid, she has someone on the payroll helping her…’Cause you know moms are suppose to be able to do it all. We don’t need no help.”

Gomez-Preston added, “I have a few celebrity girlfriends who have nannies and for me, the role of a nanny is just about help. Help, that’s all it’s about.” Reagan made it clear that she and her husband neither have nor need a nanny right now but would have no problem hiring extra help in the near future.

Many have coined parents with nannies as individuals trying to pawn their children off on someone else. Do you agree with such opinions or do you, like Reagan, view nannies as extra help to parents who are working hard to give their kids the better things in life? Would you hire a nanny?

Share your thoughts below!

Photo: @reagangomez

11 Comments to “HOT TOPIC: WHAT DOES A NANNY SAY ABOUT PARENTING SKILLS?”

• Pippi777 November 9, 2013 at 4:25 am

I don’t have children, but can bring the view point of a nanny as I have been one for 7 years. I can’t lie, it really irritates me when I hear people say ‘Why do he/she/they have a nanny? Don’t they want to raise their own children!?!’. It might bother me more because I have never met another nanny who was essentially ‘raising’ the child/ren they care for. I have several families that I work for on a weekly basis and I am not RAISING the children. The PARENTS are! I am there to HELP the families. I don’t have to worry about how to pay for their children’s doctors, schooling, extra activities, etc. I don’t have to be up all night with their children when they’re sick, the PARENTS do! Do I love all of the children with all of my heart and would do anything for them, yes. But I don’t have to worry about all of the big stuff in their life. I’m there to play with them, maybe take the to an activity or 2 while they’re in my care, make sure they’re fed and safe until mom/dad is home again. I’ve actually turned down jobs when I felt like I would be spending much more time with the children and doing the majority of care for them almost every day of every week. Why? Because it’s not my job to RAISE their children. That the PARENTS job! I absolutely LOVE what I do and wouldn’t change it for anything. I actually had a parent tell me today that she couldn’t imagine leaving her children with anyone (outside of family) but me. That she has opted out of a night she really wanted to go out because I wasn’t free and she didn’t want anyone else with their children. That means so much to me! That people entrust their children, their hearts, with me when they can’t be there. That’s a big deal to me and I don’t take it lightly.

Sorry for the rant! I’m just so sick of nannies getting a bad rap most of the time!!

• Oxford November 10, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Love what you said @Pippi777; a good nanny (or in our case “Nenny” which is the West Indian word for godmother) helps a parent be a better parent. Our main nennies do not come and go, as we got older and our needs changed their jobs evolved to suit our needs. My mum is 34 and her childhood nenny is still with us; she is now one of our honorary grand-mere’s. She is retired now and lives in Orly, France and we see her as much or even more often than we see the bio grand-mere’s as she is invested still in our well being.

When I started university my main childhood nenny (and her husband) came with me. She runs my household and her husband runs everything else, HaHa. I may not love her as much as I love my mum; but it’s close. When she met her husband she brought him to meet me; I was about seven or eight and I felt so important.

While you are not a live in and have several different charges I can tell by your words how much affection you have for them and I just love that. Our nennies loved us so much that they did things my mum would never do and thought was gross. Use your imagination; I saw my two youngest brothers’ nenny clear the congestion from their nose the old fashioned West Indian way.

Bothers me when people act as if using a nenny makes a woman less of a woman. It’s an honorable profession and there is no dishonor in using one. Frankly speaking my parent’s have nine children; my uncle whom they adopted, my two older brothers, me then five younger brothers. If it weren’t for good dependable help they might have stopped with me and I can’t imagine being in a family that small…I love the fact that there are so many of us…I would have loved it more if they had managed to give me a sister but you can’t have everything.

@Pippi777; the job you do is appreciated by people like me; you rock…don’t let anyone tell you different.

• Wanderer November 8, 2013 at 5:22 pm

If you can afford to have a nanny, why not? However, I don’t think someone should hire a nanny to escape the responsibilities of being a parent. I doubt most people who have nannies have them for that reason. Having a nanny, IMO, is not that different than having a babysitter, extended family, or a daycare center watching your kids. The only difference is that one is available 24/7 and is more expensive.

If I had kids (and the money), I would hire someone to cook and clean. I would rather spend time goofing off with my kids than cooking and cleaning.

• Seriously November 8, 2013 at 1:22 pm

When I have kids, no nanny will be raising my kids nor allowed into my home. I had the child, so ill be raising and caring for the baby. Why would I pay soneone to do something that I can do? Millions of women do it daily without help.

• TestiMONIque November 12, 2013 at 12:37 am

Just out of curiosity, are you a stay-at-home mother? I just want to make sure that your children are/were not in day care, in which case, I would have to inquire as to what is the difference?

• Trisha (the original one) November 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

Not everyone has the option to be a stay at home parent. Not everyone has the option to move Grandma in to help raise the kids. Some people need the outside help. I see nothing wrong w/ a Nanny.

• NIc November 8, 2013 at 11:47 am

I may be in the minority here but I think it depends on the child’s age. I would not want to leave my kids alone with anyone but family until they could speak. I was really fortunate that I could afford to hire help but I chose not to get a nanny. Instead I had housekeepers and a chef so my house would be clean and my husband wouldn’t starve. That enabled me to breast feed and sleep when my children slept. For most working mothers this isn’t an option and no one should feel guilty about it – you just have to do the best you can. But if you are fiscally able to stay at home why give some stranger the joy of raising YOUR kids. Those are the kinds of moms I don’t get. My sister-in-law owns a business so she set up a nursery on the premises. On days when she had to be in the office, the nanny came to work with her. My point is if you have the money you have those options so I find it odd when women with options choose not to be more involved with their children.

• theyknow November 8, 2013 at 10:11 am

I don’t see a problem with a nanny as long as you really need one and you are not abusing the fact that you have a nanny.

• NIc November 8, 2013 at 11:57 am

I live in an area where many women do let the nanny raise their kids and it is really sad. I have school aged children now and some of these women have literally said they have no idea how they are going to survive and make it through the upcoming school break when nanny will be on holiday and their kids don’t have school. So I think sometimes having a nanny keeps you from bonding with the child and forming a relationship.

• Katherine G November 8, 2013 at 9:31 am

I don’t have a problem with a couple or a single parent having a nanny. I feel if people can afford the help and they deem it necessary then they should have it. People have busy lives and sometimes they can use the help. To me it is no different than sending your child to daycare. I don’t either says anything about a person’s parenting skills.

• Na'eema November 8, 2013 at 7:07 am

I don’t see any problem with hiring some support staff to help a family in the best interest of the children. I am working on a college degree, going to school full time, while my husband works full time. If we had the ability to hire someone who could cook, clean, and take care of our children in the comfort of their owm home when I am in classes, it would definitely free up my time so that when I am home, I can use more of my time to spend with the children than hurriedly trying to juggle housework. I feel like I just need more time for them because I have a large family and I am alsays swamped at home.