KENNEDY RUE GOES TO THE PROM WITH REGINA KING’S SON

SOFIA RICHIE HEADS TO COACHELLA IN STYLE

POOCH HALL AND WIFE HOST ‘SPECIAL NEEDS FAMILY PROM’ IN HONOR OF DAUGHTER’S BIRTHDAY

SOLANGE ON SON: ‘I REALLY LIMIT WHAT HE HAS ACCESS TO’

Solange

Solange Knowles’ style may be laid back but her parenting approach is not. The singer gives the scoop on how she rears her 9-year-old son to Hot 97.

“I really limit what he can have access to,” says the singer. “He just got an iPad for Christmas.  That was Grandma’s gift…He doesn’t have a phone.”

Knowles further explains, “I feel like moving to New Orleans and putting him in school there was a good move in keeping in humble.  He’s around a lot of sweet, nice normal kids.  And also around kids who get disciplined.  If he gets completely out of line, I do the 3 steps.  One is the look and talk.  Two is taking away something of value to him.  Three,  you need your butt popped.  You don’t have to do it often, like twice or three times a year.  And he remembers it.”

Julez is developing his artistic abilities in terms of music, which is something that Solange coins as being terrifying. “He writes raps like crazy.  Hov said he had some potential. He doesn’t freestyle, he’s a writer.  And he takes the Eminem approach–as many words as he can put in a bar, however many syllables.  It’s interesting because he writes melodies first.  And Jay said all the great rappers do that.”

Julez is Solange’s only child with ex-husband Daniel Smith.

Photo: D. Julez Smith Jr./Tumblr

17 Comments to “SOLANGE ON SON: ‘I REALLY LIMIT WHAT HE HAS ACCESS TO’”

• Sweetpea November 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm

@Oxford, girl bye! Writing long essays and ish lol…so unnecessary

• Sherley November 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm

She moved to the Lou? Weird but OK. Idk if what she said was true but she appears like that type. You don’t see Julez as spoiled acting. I like Solange.

• Tracey November 15, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I don’t find her living in NOLA to be weird at all. Her roots on both sides are southern. Her maternal family’s from Louisiana and Texas and I remember her saying in 2008 that she’d always be a southern girl at heart and that New Orleans was her favorite U.S. city, which is why I found her NY move in 2011 way weirder because she always said she hated the cold weather, lol.. But then I figured with Beyoncé pregnant at the time, she probably decided just to do it. Beyoncé said that she’d been begging Solange to move to NY since 2006, so I figured Solange did it to make her sister happy. But even when she first moved to NY, she was on twitter tweeting about N.O., so I can’t say I’m shocked that she moved. I think it’s great because her son’s father still lives in their hometown of Houston which is hours away. He used to have to hop a plane to see Julez, and now he can just drive, lol. I think New Orleans is a beautiful city, too. I love going for Mardi Gras.

Not at all mad or shocked at her disciplining and restricting Julez either.

Solange seems to have her head on straight and she’s always seemed like a great mommy…

• The Winning Circle November 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm

So, she moved to Louisiana? She just moved to NYC a couple of years ago to raise him close to family according to her. Methinks, Solange is a flake. She bounces around to wherever the wind blows. Its like she chases rainbows. Ghyrl, get yourself together before you start disciplining that child.

• MUNCHOSGIRL November 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm

SHE IS THERE PART TIME, NOT PERMANENTLY…SHE SAID IT IN THE INTERVIEW.

• Keira November 15, 2013 at 10:22 pm

A flake? For living where SHE wants to? Tuh. Solange can do whatever she feels is right for her, whenever she feels like doing it. If she wants to chase rainbows or follow the wind, that’s her business.

• Nik November 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Its weird, I was JUST wondering to myself the other day if Solange whoops Julez. She doesnt seem like the type. She sounds like a great mom!

• Nicole November 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I love her parenting skills. Kids should be kids and they should have boundaries. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving your kids a spanking when they deserve one.

• Arie November 14, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I love it! I’m happy Solange allows her son to still be a kid. Nowadays kids have access to so many things starting at a young age, which in my opinion makes them grow up fast (i.e cellphones at 6 and such). I think Julez will be a well rounded young man!

• Oxford November 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I respect your opinion, but I don’t think that having access to many things at a young age makes a child grow up too fast. I had a mobile phone at four (giving me one and me knowing how to properly use it gave my parents and the people who helped to take care of me a bit of peace of mind; of course no device is better than the due diligence a parent or caregiver should show when it comes to the safety and welfare of their charges).

By eight I had a debit card (it was a tool for teaching me financial responsibility as my allowance was deposited on it and I had to choose what to spend and what went into savings or other things like tithe (parents told the normal was 10% but I should aim for 20%) and charity).

At 10, when I left for boarding school I already had credit cards for a year or so. I never abused them and I was taught how to keep track of what I was spending on line and how to pay the cards from my accounts. My parents believe that even if a child has access to money via their parents or other means they should still learn how to be fiscally responsible. Even family money can be lost, so one should know how to handle money so it doesn’t happen to them.

Having access to “things” doesn’t spoil a child or make them grow up too soon. What can damage a child is when parents allow these things to babysit their children or use them in lieu of them actually spending time with their child. We personally never had that issue and any child will tell you they would prefer to have their parents attention instead of new gadgets.

JMO, I didn’t mean any disrespect.

• ballerina girl November 14, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Credit cards at age 10? Yeah right! Totally ILLEGAL — a minor can NOT have a legal debt nor can a MINOR enter in to a binding contract — which has to be done in order to obtain a credit card! I alway believed this “Oxford” was a fraud — or at best a tad bit delusional. Girl bye!

• Oxford November 15, 2013 at 10:18 am

Maybe BCK should make a new rule for people like yourself. The rule should be that only people with the same life experiences should be allowed to comment. I think that some of you must live in a box because anyone who comments with a different life experience is met with derision and disbelief. I did not make my life or take credit for it, what I have is off my parents and ancestors backs. Someday I will make my own mark on the world and will take credit then.

ANYONE, even a child, employee or whoever can have a credit card if one is issued in their name by a responsible party. I have three younger brothers and a cousin (ten, nine, six and six) still in boarding school. Our parents put funds in their school account and the school issues them a debit card, and YES even the two six year old’s have a credit card given to them by my parents for emergencies and other needs. What do you think is more appropriate, a handful of euro’s that can be stolen or a credit card?

There are two year old’s with mobile phones. I don’t care who is watching a child, a mobile phone that a child can use in case of emergency is a PLUS, not a minus. It has GPS. Do you know that there are people who kidnap children ONLY for a ransom, it’s a business? That why so many companies and private individuals take out ransom insurance on their employes and family members. This is the real world that we live in, not safe middle America (and even there people snatch children everyday and at least with a GPS watch or a mobile phone with GPS that no one knows about you have a better chance of getting your kid back). Just because you don’t hear about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. All of us have been taught what to do if we are taken; from humanizing yourself by making them call you by your name to other things even the youngest of us can understand and implement.

My niece is two years old and can work an ipad and iphone better than my mum. My brother has ring tones set for different family members so when we call her, she knows who’s calling. My ring tone for her is Fruit Salad by the Wiggles.

Some of you came here to bully others instead of supporting them. Universitychick is finishing medical school, someone told her she was really the janitor. Karlisa has I think four children including two who were adopted, someone had something negative to say about her. There’s another commenter finishing up nursing school, yeah one or two negatives comments were dropped. I could go on and on. You people even insult the commentator’s with special need children.

This is anonymous cyberspace, if you don’t think someone is being truthful; ignore them and move on. Why spend energy responding to someone you think is faux? They would have won then because you spent time you will never get back engaging them.

We are all DIFFERENT which is what makes a blog interesting. Different life experiences make for open minded dialog. I have a hardship drivers license which I got in Texas on 5 March 2013, let me guess I’m lying about that too since as far as you know a 15 year old cannot get a drivers license. You don’t live in my world, until you do stop insulting what you have no knowledge of.

• ballerina girl November 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Just as I’ve never insulted anyone on this site, I wasn’t trying to insult you! I’m merely stating FACT in regards to minors not being legally allowed to obtain credit cards. It is of my opinion that you doing great tales — you should seriously think about becoming a fifty writer. It will make you rich enough to someday give your own children the fantasy life that you’ve dreamt up and continue to post on here. How sad. *sigh*

• Habesha November 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I’m curious why your parents felt the need to give a 4 year old a mobile phone. You claim to have been watched by live in nannies, and if you were in the care of nannies and house maids why did you need a mobile at 4?

• Writer November 15, 2013 at 5:14 am

@Oxford, it sound like you really took the time out to make all of this up.

• Writer November 15, 2013 at 5:18 am

@Arie, I agree. I can’t stand when kids have all of these devices. Kids now do not know how to just go outside and play kick ball or hide and seek or four square or tag or stay in the house and use their imagination.

• Arie November 15, 2013 at 11:56 am

Yes!!! I’m 24 and when I was a kid we played outside until the street lights came on. I just feel like giving kids cellphones and such so young gives them nothing to look forward to when they hit milestones. I couldn’t wait to get a cell phone once I turned 13.