Although being a mother is stressful, there are some things that we can do to lighten the extra self-inflicted loads that we all carry. Check out some tips that will put your mind at ease and pass them along to all of your mom friends.
1. Stop the guilt trips- As long as you know that you are doing the best that you can, you are doing a great job. People make mistakes, even moms.
2. Time with your kids is key- If you want to know the secret for stopping most misbehavior in your kids, try spending more time with them. Most of the time they are just seeking your attention, whether it be negative or positive.
3. Have alone time- As much as your kids need quality time with you, YOU need quality time with you. Carve out some time to go and do something that’s just for you like reading a book, getting a massage or going shoping.
4. Dads are parent too- Let Dad take the reigns sometimes. Sure, he may not know that your son likes to crust cut off his bread and that your daughter has decided that she only wears pink this week, but these aren’t things that will harm your kids.
5. Practice what you preach- If you want your kids to read more and watch TV less, you should be the one showing them how it’s done.
6. Wake up before them- Trust me, I know it’s hard to get out of that cozy bed any earlier than absolutely necessary but waking up to your alarm clock instead of your kids is much nicer.
7. Make your marriage a priority- Although you are parents, you are still husband and wife. Being happy in your marriage will ultimately help you be happier in your parenting.
8. Laughter is good for the soul- Have you ever heard the expression, “You’ll look back on this and laugh?” Well why not laugh now? Don’t always take yourself too seriously. Parenting with a smile is far better than parenting with a frown.
What are some of your best mom secrets?